Nine News Local

Thanks for the caps!

Interesting that towns like Katherine, Tennant Creek and Mount Isa get a mention on the weather graphics despite being miles outside the coverage area.

2 Likes

Even Yulara and the Alice

2 Likes

Not sure what’s prompted it, but i’ve noticed some improvements recently to the presentation of the bulletin; which has been quite nice.

Recently i’ve noticed just after the local window, we’ve been getting quite a lot of live crosses, often back to back.

I’ve also noticed quite a few occasions where they’ve got Sam and Paul both introducing stories, previously this was only done for the opening story.

4 Likes

Thee two presenters reading alternating sentences? I’ve never liked that.

1 Like

Mike Lorigan presenting NSW/ACT bulletins tonight.

6 Likes

Nine News has really failed the NQ community tonight.

A “Leave Now” bushfire warning was issued for a housing estate about 10km north of my home in Townsville around 4:00pm this afternoon.

9 News tonight opened on a story/live cross about a car accident near Bundaberg, then the 5-minute local window, with no mention of the bushfire/evacuations needed, then after the local window we were told all about bushfires burning outside Darwin, yet still no mention of the emergency situation happening locally.

Meanwhile, over on 7 News, the bulletin opened with “Breaking News” and a full report on the situation, with a reporter on the scene with a “looklive”.

8 Likes

…and Luke Dufficy presented sport:

7 Likes

Possibly because the Darwin bulletin is also shown on Imparja Gem in remote NT and QLD.

EDIT: If that’s still shown. I can’t see it listed in online guides.

It’s listed on yourtv.

4 Likes

I thought that was only when it was a Darwin produced bulletin?

Edit: @littlegezzybear has now answered that question! Thanks

You might find it’s also because Territory and Federal agents and contractors frequently have to travel to and interact with with those places as part of their work.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Wouldn’t you say this is an excellent example of how the image/perception of a local news service can sometimes be just as important as the amount of local content provided?

With Darwin viewers having seen the end of locally produced news on commercial TV, Nine no longer producing weekend news, production moving to Brisbane with content airing on a 30 minute delay due to the time difference along with Jonathan Uptin (who I’d imagine Darwin viewers had an extremely strong connection towards) moving onto the position of weekend presenter of Nine News Queensland back in March…you can probably understand why ABC News might be more popular with Darwin viewers these days.

3 Likes

It took some getting my head around why Imparja Gem viewers in the NT see the Darwin news “on time” at 6pm. I assume it’s simulcast with NTD Darwin so basically delayed by 30 mins. Remote QLD viewers would see it at 6.30 local time. The listings are in NT time.

2 Likes

Because most of IMP North’s viewers are in QLD (population wise, not necessarily the biggest geographical area). I’m not sure if they have the facility to split the feed between QLD and NT (are the ads the same across the “north” market?) and even if they could, would they consider it financially viable?

5 Likes

Yep that’s right. Bit confusing. One of the downsides of having all channels in AEST. Even worse during daylight savings when the bulletin is advertised as starting at 7.30pm AEDT.

1 Like

Exactly. But to all intents and purposes an NT viewer just has to tune into GEM at six o clock local time for the NT News.

1 Like

And if they just use their EPG to see what’s on then it’s all correct anyway.

If Nine Darwin wasn’t network-owned I bet all they’d be getting is noodle updates.

But I do think that the regional studio should be producing a live Darwin/NT-only weekend bulletin. It’s empty anyway since RQLD gets the Brisbane bulletin. Only additional costs would be studio presenters and a couple of journalists for the local stories since the Brisbane newsroom is open all week.

I’d keep two studio presenters only with both doing news and sport or one news and one sport. Weather can be pre-recorded by Luke Bradnam or simply read by the main presenter.

5 Likes

Although I agree that weekend bulletins for Darwin should be re-instated, it has the smallest population of the eight sub-markets so I can’t see Nine being in a rush to relaunch them anytime soon.

Best case scenario for local weekend news would probably be to have combined Regional QLD/NT, SNSW/ACT and Victorian bulletins but even that seems highly unlikely, as much as I personally think Nine would benefit greatly from at least Sunday night bulletins for QLD/NT and SNSW/ACT.

So Darwin might’ve recieved an updated Nine News set in line with metro markets if the “streamlining” didn’t happen last September? If so, that’s really sad!

3 Likes