Nine News Local

As good as HD news is, I think local live news is much more important in this case :frowning:

13 Likes

Perhaps there will be an expanded “local window” that only plays out to Darwin, replacing “wider QLD/Brisbane” stories in the other markets? It would mean jiggling the order of stories around, but could work.

Yeah. I was just pointing out that HD would probably be the only positive in the case of Darwin.

2 Likes

In theory, there shouldn’t be too much difference from the current bulletin? Should there?

Also, I think someone mentioned above that the Darwin local inserts will be read live.

It will most likely be shown delayed, and there will be no local weekend news, which is a major stepback

2 Likes

Any indication whether Nine Darwin will stay at the current premises and keep the studio on standby for special events such as election coverage, or are they downsizing and moving elsewhere?

That was just a theory of mine, not fact.

https://twitter.com/samheathwood9/status/904984591840235520

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYpxM9VgpjW/

Two months in and this little news team is about to get a boost - and a whole new territory! Next week we welcome @jonouptin as my co-anchor and @katelimon as Deputy Regional News Director - and we start broadcasting @9newsdarwin

8 Likes

Someone ask her if they will be getting a proper set!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if regional news gets the old QLD set, my prediction is that they would probably do this to cater for Darwin, by replicating what has previously been done in a way can ensure that viewers don’t start leaving… as too much change at once might affect ratings.

5 Likes

The old QLD set went to NBN

1 Like

I thought that was Sydney’s set?

Have a detailed look at one of @eddel 's great discoveries on the NBN News thread.

No. The old QLD set at QTQ was sent to Newcastle and is used on NBN News.

There’s nearly zero chance they’ll implement any set changes… they’ve only just spent all that money getting the current set up and running - why replace it after less than 2 months?

(I would love to see the Darwin set brought over, but from Nine’s perspective, it just ain’t gonna happen)

3 Likes

But the old Sydney set was also sent to Brisbane as part of that shuffle.

2 Likes

The region specific backgrounds are very clever, but not good in practice. Time they did what NBN does and use a generic background on a real set.

3 Likes

The region-specific backgrounds are probably also helpful for the behind-the-scenes guys to check at a glance that the right feed is going out to the right market - especially during the inserts. It also makes the viewer feel they are seeing a local bulletin tailored to their area. Quite a few are no doubt unaware that the bulk of the bulletins are shared with other markets, and may even think they are produced somewhere locally.

4 Likes

I wonder how it would work out if they used local backdrops only on the local inserts, then either OTS or generic backdrops elsewhere.

1 Like

Yeah, i’m sure most people who watch local news bulletins think they’re produced locally.

When 9 News launched in Mackay in July, I can remember seeing comments on Facebook regarding it where people were clearly showing that they believed it was produced locally.

I guess Sam’s few visits to the area - and good relationship with local Triple M presenters, joining them in studio in Mackay a few times - obviously fooled many viewers.

3 Likes

Well, it took 23 hours to upload, but here it finally is.

9 News Townsville montage from last night:

7 Likes