Nine News Local

8 Likes

From sub-standard to superb (presenter and presentation wise).

6 Likes

Interesting… Business as usual for 9 Border North East Vic, which started off with a full length opener, same first report followed by a cross to Mark Burrows which was “filed a short time ago”.

Good to know they have the ability to switch to ‘network headquarters’ in a major news event.

8 Likes

I’d expect that the regional news would be dropped in favour of statewide metro bulletins in the event of major domestic news (natural disasters, terror).

7 Likes

NBN News did it following the events of Black Saturday, I’m pretty sure it was on the Sunday and Melinda Smith crossed to Peter Hitchener.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Supermarkets and Retail

Ideally they would do something more like the ABC though - and have a reporter ‘anchor’ the coverage. Dropping back to the Sydney bulletin is something I think they should avoid.

Especially given the huge gulf in presenter talent here, speaks volumes that Nine in Victoria stayed with Jo Hall.

6 Likes

I’m not so sure. Georgie is just introducing pre-recorded packages, why couldn’t this be done by Vanessa? The Perth bulletin would have been done locally, don’t see why regional NSW should be any different. When 9/11 happened, Ten Capital (as it was then) devoted a huge amount of resource in Watson to cover it properly - including live crosses to the US.

Why on earth would a newsroom feel they are not equipped to cover such important news? I’d say this speaks to the nervousness of the new NRN team in covering hard news; and their concern about a backlash from viewers (and those on this website) had they got it wrong.

Did NBN forfeit their right to cover the news and divert to Sydney too?

4 Likes

More recently, NBN News continued to run a locally produced bulletin instead of relaying Nine’s coverage during the 6pm hour on the night of the Sydney siege.

Having watched it, I can confirm that tonight’s NBN News had the entire 1st block dedicated to stories about the London attacks. The local windows were pushed to the 2nd block along with “the rest of the day’s news”.

3 Likes

that was the same with 9 news western Victoria

I agree, if Georgie was introducing pre packages reports - why could Vanessa just not intro same ones - even same scripts could be used

And If a reporter was crossed to live by Georgie - why could not after there 2 minutes cross Venessa cross to them?

(9 News SNSW would need some content for this 2 minutes when Georgie was talking to said reporter in London to wait for them to be avail - but perhaps another London package could be run or she could say “we have Our Europe correspondent on stand by live in London to talk to us in a moment, but before that we just want to bring you up to speed on the other major story of the day…” and run story #2)

My guess is that London correspondent also did a cross for Melb and possibly Brisbane - and they would have had to schedule the interview and navigate avail times also.

3 Likes

How strange. It’s not like the packages weren’t ready to go, if Victoria and NBN had access to the same ones and were able to give them local intros.

I think this shows management doesn’t think Vanessa is ready to handle “big stories”? What went to air just looked like a dogs breakfast. Surely, it would have been better to have Vanessa intro them?

I’ll be honest - it’s hard to watch Vanessa. For me - she is that bad.

3 Likes

Vanessa O’Hanlon isn’t a completely bad TV presenter, but probably isn’t the best fit for Southern NSW/ACT regional news especially when she’s presenting the bulletins from Sydney and was previously based in Melbourne for a number of years. If O’Hanlon presented the weather on Today or Nine News Sydney (similar to what she did at ABC News Breakfast), that might be a different story.

Even though they’re new faces to Southern NSW/ACT, at least both Mike Lorigan and Gavin Morris had past experience in regional TV before the launch of Nine’s SNSW/ACT bulletins so they would understand what regional viewers want.

5 Likes

Seems she’s not very popular on MS. She’s gone from presenting weather to full 1 hour bulletin, who thought that was a good idea?

I wonder if Nine had considered trying to move Danielle Post from Nine Sydney’s chief-of-staff back to a reading role. According to SMH, WIN Canberra figures increased with her at the helm. Or even attempt to entice Kerryn Johnston back to reading the news. Both would be familiar faces and have extensive local knowledge and reading experience.

8 Likes

That’s exactly how news should be done - and that’s the promise Nine Regional made to viewers - “You’ll get the most important news first, no matter where it happens.” Just a shame that it really means, “if it’s really important, we’ll turn the dial over to TCN, because we can’t handle it. Come back to us for a story about a crowded bus and an arson attack at an RSL in Dapto.”

6 Likes

Unsurprised to be agreeing with you. In the olden days we’d have been searching for a local link to London. As naff as it sounds, if a local politician or footballer or radio personality had ANY link to London, we’d have got them in for a chat to pad out waiting for our live cross.

“So Ricky Stuart, you were in London for a Rugby League tour last year, tell us about Westminster…”

2 Likes

Yes, considering these are all pre-packed reports - I son’t understand why Vanessa could not into them.

A live cross could also be done - and if it could not, the London reporter could have taped a “look live” a few minutes before six for 9 News SNSW and VIC to roll in.

Throwing back to Sydney is a complete cop out.

1 Like

And that backdrop that 9 News SYD used - the Terror in London backdrop - that is what should have been behind Vanessa.

2 Likes

Or even just a " Our reporter spoke to Nine’s Georgie Gardner a short while ago" and taken the full cross

2 Likes