Some issues in tonight’s bulletin.

Opener, with the first story taking too long to play:

Closer, with the story cutting off half-way through:

5 Likes

As requested on Monday night, here is a short montage of the Canberra bulletin:

To compare to the Illawarra montage from the same night:

6 Likes

Yep, I agree 100%.
Viewers are clearly aware that Vanessa is sitting in front of a large screen due to the sport cross.
Why not, at least for the start of the bulletin, closer, and throw to ads, zoom the image out a bit so that we can see a little bit of the set away from the TV, as you say, just like is done in sport.

It would be easy to achieve now without needing to do anything major.

One other minor thing I’d like to see is a change to Vanessa’s script at the start. The way she goes from “Good evening.” straight into a story seems off and a little cold, especially when there’s no opening headlines.

It needs to be something a bit more inviting like “Good evening, thanks for joining us. Firstly tonight, …”, just to make it a bit more friendly!

1 Like

I don’t think many newsreaders say “thanks for joining us”. Sounds very cliché.

“Good evening” is usually enough if it’s connected directly to the subsequent sentence without an awkward pause. For example: “Good evening and welcome to Nine News. New South Wales is struggling to cope with another day of scorching weather, with the Premier warning of potential blackouts in some regional communities”.

Although maybe a lack of headlines beforehand makes the whole thing disjointed.

3 Likes

I know it’s a much bigger screen but surely making sifting the presenters a bit further apart from each other would look good TEN10 did it (and their desk is roughly the same size).

7 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Random Mocks.

This is not a thread for mocks. The next ones that are posted will be deleted, rather than moved.

This won’t work with their current green screen set up. It’s very basic. They’re not using any tracking, so the background graphic will stay static while everything in front will zoom. It’ll be like one of those vertigo zooms they do on thrillers, and wouldn’t look good on a 6pm news bulletin.

To see what I mean about not tracking, just compare the shot of Vanessa by herself, then the two shot with Mike. The background graphic is in the exact same position and size compared to the picture, not the plasma. In the two shot, the background image is cropped.

The only way to fix it is to go to a generic background like NBN have (but of course updated for the new styling).

7 Likes

They could also have the lead story on the screen as another option.

2 Likes

Bingo

Or pan in with a 9 News logo on the screen for the opener.
Then use the zoomed in local image, mixed with story graphics for subsequent stories.

3 Likes

Has anyone spotted a promo for “9 News Central West” which premieres Monday?

Couldn’t stop for a photo, but spotted a bus stop ad for Nine News Illawarra near the Warrawong end of Northcliffe Drive yesterday. It had the starting date so might have been there for at least a week.

1 Like

Was it like this? I meant to post it when I took the photo, but I forgot:

7 Likes

“First and Best” has to be one of most inaccurate slogan ever used by a news service.

11 Likes

If not the same, very similar. Thought it may have just had a white background though?? Can’t remember, but the same messsaging nonetheless.

I agree … and Nine News regional has been around for like, 5 mins…
Can’t see how they can claim being “the best”.

3 Likes

For anyone interested, Samantha Heathwood can be seen here presenting the early news in 2012.

Also interesting to note that during the weather flyaround, they were using the old music from the 2006 package!

7 Likes

I think it adequately describes Nine News Sydney but, yes, it is inappropriate for the local news.

1 Like

Media week article http://www.mediaweek.com.au/nine-regional-news-mike-dalton/

5 Likes

Well, until I saw the picture in that article, I thought the Mike Dalton that is overseeing the regional bulletins must have been the same one that reports for Nine News Sydney !! :persevere:

I don’t know WHY I thought that!

1 Like