Nine News Local

Zero advertising for the debut of Nine’s Illawarra news bulletin in today’s print edition of the Illawarra Mercury newsletter (it can hardly be called a newspaper these days). WIN, however, have a half page ad touting “the Illawarra’s most trusted local news for over 50 years”.

7 Likes

SC is useless.
Even when Nine produces the whole news for them they can’t even advertise / market it

5 Likes

Victorian Markets better do What SCA can’t do with Illawarra and that’s Promoting Nine Local News with Jo Hall when it Begins.

I doubt if. It’s all run by the same people.
I don’t think SCA employs anyone in publicly, marketing, promos, social or digital. They have zero social media or online presence. The promos are all done by Nine - I’d say it was even nine publicly who set up the interviews with Vanessa and press.

3 Likes

I’d imagine they’d use free advertising on SCA’s Triple M & Hit radio networks, so it wouldn’t cost a huge amount to buy some other advertising elsewhere too & do something on social media.

A post was merged into an existing topic: WIN News

Update just aired in the Illawarra, though I noticed it wasn’t in HD. Are the updates in Canberra HD?

Canberra updates are in SD while the bulletin is done in HD.

3 Likes

Would be good if one of our fantastic Canberra contributors recorded the Canberra bulletin tonight, so that it can be compared to the Illawarra one (which I have no doubt will also be uploaded) :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Promo

Update …

10 Likes

Parliament house background shown on Illawarra update? Oops

10 Likes
4 Likes

I’d say they are sent to SC in HD but they do not have HD playback facility. Interested to see if the various windows are sent live from Nine in HD.

7 Likes

Yeah, that definitely sounds like the reason I’d say, as SCA definitely don’t do their own HD playout.

My understanding is that the local windows would still be HD as Nine are providing the entire hourly long feed for each individual market individually.
SCA only need to switch the Canberra feed to the Canberra feed being provided by Nine from 6pm-7pm, and Illawarra to the Illawarra feed provided by Nine from 6pm-7pm, and everything else would be done for them.

3 Likes

I agree that SCA most likely don’t do HD playout for any local ad breaks as opposed to content coming down the line on the feeds from Nine.

Already geographical errors in the Illawarra update. The shark was spotted in Minamurra, a suburb north of Kiama Downs. You would think Minamurra river (which is where it was spotted) would be a dead giveaway for them. Funnily enough, Nine News Sydney reported on it last night and got the location correct.

3 Likes

Laughable to have Parliament House as the backdrop for an Illawarra local news service. They need to go with a generic news set if they can’t tailor a backdrop specific to a region.

8 Likes

15 Likes

Yeah, they definitely don’t.
During ad breaks, program promos coming through from the metro feed are clearly HD, while promos that SCA are playing out themselves are remarkable poor quality in comparison.

3 Likes

Opener:
Montage coming soon

4 Likes