Nine News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

Nine should make her the regular weekend presenter. She runs rings around the current newsreaders.

5 Likes

She certainly is much better than the others, but she already works Mon-Fri as the 9 News Regional QLD presenter, she wouldn’t want to be working 7 days a week.

1 Like

I think everyone knows that by now. Same could be said about Seven News Sydney and Michael Usher, although we all know that it won’t work for a few years anyway.

If I was QTQ’s Director of News, I’d personally swap the roles of Eva Milic & Alison Ariotti around ASAP.

4 Likes

This would be a far better idea!

I know she presents regional news. I wasn’t suggesting she do both. Just move her to the Brisbane weekend bulletin which is a step up.

3 Likes

Agreed, Darren & Alison are just rubbish compared to Sam or Eva. I’m finding Sam’s current position as a regional reader a step back rather then a step forward (as she has presented in those regional QLD markets before) But I’m sure residence in regional markets are glad to see her back.

I couldn’t agree more. Her voice is soothing when she is sick. Shame she can’t transfer that into her regular presenting when she’s not sick. She has always been a loud presenter even when she was presenting Nine News Now 3 years ago.

Tim Davies presented Early News this week.

Amelia Adams presented Monday & Friday Morning News & Sydney Afternoon News.

2 Likes

If he’d clocked on 5 minutes earlier this morning Nine could’ve had the OJ Simpson parole verdict live rather than as ‘breaking news’.

5 Likes

Georgie Gardner is back presenting in Sydney tonight.

3 Likes

Andrew Lofthouse presenting solo in Brisbane tonight.

1 Like

I’d like to see this more often (permanently). Not a fan of the double header, one anchor flows a lot better. I don’t watch QLD News but who would be better solo? Maybe Loft weekdays and Mel on weekends?

What is with QLD stations wanting two? Gold Coast News why bother? Bizarre.

The new Nine Set looks very polished with a solo reader.

Maybe it’s just me, but I would’ve thought that two newsreaders suit an hour long bulletin quite well (keeps things fresh, fast-paced, etc.) with a single newsreader working better for a half hour bulletin.

I think Queensland TV viewers have long been accustomed to seeing two newsreaders on their evening news bulletins, so that’s why the networks do what they do up there.

2 Likes

Queensland’s news has always had a double header for a good 20+ years (both Seven and Nine).

Although I do think that Seven could benefit from having Kay on weeknights solo and Sharyn and Bill on weekends as a double header. Sharyn and Bill were the wrecking ball that killed off Seven News Queensland from 2013 till today. It would’ve been better for them to start on weekends in 2013 and gradually replace Rod and Kay (just like when Lofthouse joined Nine, he was on weekends with Eva Milic until Bruce left).

Either way, any presenter on Seven runs rings around the train wreck weekend duo of QTQ.

5 Likes

I think 4 presenters for a 30 min bulletin is sheer overkill (2 x news, 1 x sport and 1 x weather).

I think it works better for a 1 hr bulletin than it does for a 30 min one.

2 Likes

Kay weeknights and Rod weekends or vice versa why didn’t this happen? The ratings from the previous decade already gives reassurance that it would work not to mention giving the bulletin a lot of seniority. Yet they went to Ten and got Mr Stale.

Very odd!

1 Like

If that happened, I prefer vice versa, and even so, I would liked to have seen Sharyn presenting with Rod with Kay on weekends if Kay ever wanted to move from weeknights.

Either way, Seven News Queensland would still probably be a comfortable leader in Brisbane today if either of the above scenarios were to happen.

3 Likes

From and executive’s POV, double headers work well when one of the anchors is away or retires meaning the viewers still can tune into a familar face. As has been mentioned Queensland has had double headers for decades (Frank Warrick and Kay McGrath in the late 80s).

[quote=“Pranks, post:2063, topic:148”]
I don’t watch QLD News but who would be better solo? Maybe Loft weekdays and Mel on weekends?
[/quote] Melissa has been with Nine News Brisbane for about 15 years, so out of the two, I would pick Downes. However, both are quite average anchors and together they are stronger. Notably, Darren Curtis tends to rates better when he is solo on the weekends ( over the double header or Alison solo) which may have to do with Kay being solo on the weekend…

IMO, when Bruce Paige returned from retirement, he should have anchored the weekend bulletin solo.

[quote=“Tom_TV7, post:2065, topic:148”]
Lofthouse joined Nine, he was on weekends with Eva Milic until Bruce left
[/quote] Nine Queensland did really well with the changes in anchors of the years, IMO, despite the quantity of them. Andrew and Melissa both anchored the weekend news for a number of years before they moved to the weeknight gig. Even when Heather first reduced her duties, she went to weekends, and then returned to weeknights. However, that makes you worry that Darren and Alison are the next in line.

1 Like

Bring back Heather Foord I say.

Nine: Heather weekdays, Bruce Weekends
Seven: Rod weekdays, Kay weekends.

Now that would be a fierce ratings battle. First Class presenters…

3 Likes