Nine News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

But Bathie wasn’t laps ahead in terms of ratings. Something had to change and she was an easy target.

Worked out for the best from my perspective though, get to listen to her for 12 hours a week on radio now!

This is basically what my plan would be if I was News Director in the Brisbane newsroom. Throw some money at Kay and use the next 5-10 years with her at the helm to clear out the existing newsreaders and develop a new generation to take over from her when she retires. None of the current presenters in Brisbane do much for me personally.

3 Likes

Yes exactly, they are of the select few senior readers who can hold an audience. Kay/Rod, Hitchener, Walden etc…

If you dropped Peter Hitchener on Seven Melbourne tomorrow I can guarantee viewers would be over there almost instantly.

1 Like

The same could be said if you dropped Peter Overton on Seven News Sydney, Jane Doyle and John Riddell on Nine News Adelaide, and Rick and Sue on Nine News Perth.

2 Likes

triggered

6 Likes

I think those presenters you mentioned are currently the most popular and influential 6pm newsreaders in their respective markets, and quite possibly the most popular and influential TV newsreaders in the country.

Quite certainly. Peter Overton is obviously only the 5th ever weeknight presenter on Nine News Sydney (after Chuck Faulkner, Brian Henderson, Jim Waley and Mark Ferguson). Jane Doyle and John Riddell have been reading together since 2005 (12 yrs) but have been at SAS-7 since the late 80s. As for Rick and Sue, I’m sure I don’t have to go into detail about them given that they will be making national headlines later this year.

1 Like

Why is a sinking boat the lead story?

Nine News Queensland never fails to deliver absolutely useless news, night after night.

Hitch is only the 3rd after Sir Eric Pearce and Brian Naylor. They’ve not had one dud, yet.

2 Likes

I thought they had someone before Sir Eric Pearce. GTV came on-air in the 50s while Sir Eric Pearce was at HSV-7 and he didn’t start till the late 60s.

1 Like

Mark Burrows is presenting Friday Morning & Afternoon News.

EDIT- Deb Knight was at Nine’s Brisbane 2017 launch last night.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that once GTV opened, Sir Eric Pearce jumped ship. He was replaced at Seven by Geoff Raymond.

1 Like

@Tom_TV7 looking online and if the information is accurate Sir Eric was at HSV7 from 1956-1957 (and as @Wade mentioned Geoff Raymond replaced him at HSV7 ).Sir Eric then moved to GTV9 where he remained as chief newsreader until 1974 when he retired. He was persuaded to come out of retirement in 1976 and ultimately retired in 1978.

2 Likes

James Bracey made his first appearance on Nine News Sydney tonight, covering the NRL All Stars game from Newcastle (sans jacket due to the heatwave conditions).

6 Likes

Herald Sun reports Peter Hitchener has called in police after being bombarded with death threats and abuse from a crazed stalker. A 48-year-old man was arrested on Wednesday and charged with several offences. He later appeared in Melbourne Magistrates’ Court where he was granted bail to undergo psychiatric assessment, and will re-appear next Monday.
Scary stuff. Reminds me of Ten’s Sandra Sully who was the victim of another stalker attack many years ago.

14 Likes

Is this the same guy that always tweets Karl, Lisa and other channel 9 celebs about them ruining his life? Surely everyone has him on block?

Saturday (11.02.17)- Sunday (12.02.17): Alison Arriotti is anchoring solo in Queensland.

Madeline Slattery presenting weather in Melbourne this weekend.

1 Like

@JohnsonTV According to Sunday Herald Sun the man who targeted Peter Hitchener has also allegedly been a serial pest with other high profile Melbourne TV identities in the past,including Rebecca Maddern when she was working at Seven and Jennifer Keyte. Also believed to have targeted media executives including David Gyngell.

4 Likes

Alicia Loxley presented the 5pm News today.

1 Like

Pearce was sacked from Seven in October 1957, according to Mal Walden’s book The Newsman.

Apparently Pearce’s “crime” was voicing doubts about Seven’s owner HWT in that it was deliberately hindering Seven’s news presence because it presented a risk to the might of their newspapers. He was shown the door and then picked up by GTV9.

6 Likes