Nine News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

Amber is presenting the 4pm news for some reason. Davina must’ve had to leave abruptly this afternoon, as she was presenting the morning news if I’m not mistaken.

3 Likes

She did sound a bit sick yesterday.

Is Julie Snook presenting Sport today?

1 Like

Yes, Davina presented the Morning News.

Yep, all smiles though.

(Courtesy @ScreenTower )

5 Likes

Sophie Walsh is presenting Sydney’s weather Friday and Saturday this week.

2 Likes

Mark Burrows presenting in Sydney tonight.

2 Likes

Saturday (14.04.2018) - Sunday (15.04.2018): Jono is co-anchoring Brisbane News live from the Gold Coast- covering the Commonwealth Games. Sam Squoers is presenting sport from the Gold Coast.

Andrew Lofthouse is anchoring the rest of the day’s news.

1 Like

I know this keeps getting brought up every time Mark Burrows presents Sydney’s 6pm news, but I still don’t understand why Nine keep picking him over (IMO) superior presenters such as Jayne Azzopardi, Amelia Adams and Davina Smith.

Yes, I’m more than aware Mark Burrows is a very experienced reporter for Nine but knowing that he’s been at the network for longer than Peter Overton, don’t people think Mark Burrows would probably be the main Sunday-Thursday 6pm newsreader for Sydney if his presenting was really that good? Of course others may disagree but I personally think he’s right up there with Chris Reason and Belinda Russell as people who make decent reporters but really shouldn’t be used to present news bulletins (or weather forecasts in the case of Belinda).

As for Sophie Walsh, surely I can’t be the only person who thinks she should at least be the Friday/Saturday weather presenter for Nine News Sydney on a regular basis?

5 Likes

It’s all subjective. You think that Davina and Jayne are better presenters, I don’t. Amelia’s a great presenter.
Mark is fine as a fill-in and I think he should continue to be in this #3 newsreader role for Sydney.
I like it when the fill in presenter comes from the regular reporters on the bulletin, not a presenter from another bulletin that regular 6pm viewers don’t watch.

3 Likes

Each to their own suppose (everyone has different opinions and I respect that), but I think Jayne Azzopardi is a far better presenter from the Sydney reporting team than Mark Burrows.

Mark (IMO) is too wooden and his presenting style just doesn’t seem to flow well. But once again it’s subjective and there’s nothing wrong with that.

4 Likes

I for one, like watching Mark Burrows present, and I’m probably not the only one.

He’s certainly not the world’s greatest presenter, but I’ve certainly seen worse.

Saw Sophie on NNN yesterday, her presenting has improved greatly.

If you are going to drop Amber and/or Belinda, you might as well replace them with a meteorologist (like Magdalena Roze). Otherwise there is no point in sacking them IMO.

Mark gets compared to Chris Reason a lot. Well, I like Reaso as an anchor, but not Mark.

Quite monotone and robotic IMO and I think there are better anchors who could/should read the bulletin.

He is fine over Christmas though.

1 Like

I’ve never been a Burrows fan, and agree that there are plenty of better candidates available for 9.

Having said that, I’d much rather Burrows than Vanessa O’Hanlon. 9 lost this viewer when they introduced their Canberra bulletin.

2 Likes

I’d prefer to see a familiar, older stalwart of the network newsroom reading the bulletin than someone who hasn’t paid their dues. He may not be as polished and as natural as some but he is a respected and trusted face. I find him easier to watch than the likes of Mark Ferguson, Ben Fordham and Karl Stefanovic. It took a while to become accustomed to seeing Peter Harvey present bulletins after seeing him only in the reporter role for decades. I think it is a similar situation with Mark Burrows. He’ll loosen up the more he does it and we’ll get used to his presenting style.

2 Likes

I feel like Belinda has improved a lot of the last year or so and does a . great job in the role she is in.

I pretty much agree with @Tom_TV7’s comment about newsreader preferences being a subjective thing. Media Spy would be a boring forum if we all had the same opinions! :slight_smile:

Although in general, I think there can be a big difference between what makes a great news reporter (there’s also news reporters who suit some types of content better than others) and what makes a great newsreader.

I was going to suggest that Sophie Walsh may also be good fill-in 6pm newsreader because she would be reasonably familiar to the audience through her reporting and fill-in weather presenting, but didn’t think very many others would agree because she’s a comparatively new presenter/reporter at Nine News Sydney.

Yep, that’s basically my opinion when it comes to both Chris Reason and Mark Burrows.

Of course both are still better fill-ins than Robert Ovadia but that’s another story altogether.

Oh man, the fill-in news bulletins with Peter Harvey (particularly those during the November 2010 Sydney 6pm news stint) were unintentionally hilarious. There was one where he was leaning with his arm out to one side for all or most of the bulletin! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

@Troiboi Is Alice Murray still reading Weekend Perth News? Or does she share with Michael?

1 Like

I believe it’s just Michael for the most part now.

1 Like

Alice gave birth to a baby boy a couple of weeks ago, so she probably won’t be back for some time.

1 Like

Sophie again presenting Sydney’s weather tonight

3 Likes