Nine News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

A question that @Read_It_First may or may not be able to answer: Knowing how Nine News Sydney has seemingly used it’s Northern sister station as their main “training ground” for newer on-air talent in recent years (Davina Smith, Chris O’Keefe, Yvonne Sampson pre-Fox League, Sophie Walsh & Zara James are names that instantly come to mind), do you by any chance know if it’s possible that we may see one or both of the reporter vacancies for TCN taken by current/recent QTQ reporters?

Just for what it’s worth, I personally think Alex Bernhardt, Clare Hunter & Rob Morrison (in no particular order) are probably the best reporters currently/recently at Nine in Brisbane from what I’ve seen. Although I’m not really in the loop when it comes to the internal operations of either newsroom, somehow I actually wouldn’t be surprised if TCN were interested in picking up the services of at least one of those aforementioned three from QTQ.

Sylvia Jeffreys, Wendy Kingston, Leila McKinnon too.

The Gold Coast seems to have a better presenting and reporting team, IMO, than Brisbane. Brandan Wolfe is pretty good.

When Nat Wallace first reported on Nine News about two or three years ago, I thought he was an exceptional reporter (he comes from NBN). However, the station’s sensationalism seems to have destroyed this.

3 Likes

I would probably add Joel Dry and Aislin Kriukelis to that list. Shame because the other reporters aren’t as polished.

Since Aislin is used on Today often, maybe she might make the move south?

4 Likes

I thought Tessa Hardy (Scott) & Jessica Millward (and if still at the network Lauren Gianoli) would also make the TCN cut! Very polished IMO.

2 Likes

And Karl Stefanovic

We were talking about TALENTED reporters. :wink:

So true. Given their national presence (Joel doing a brief stint in Canberra) and their abilities to present, they are reasonable suggestions.

6 Likes

Tim Davies presenting Early News this week.

1 Like

Mark Burrows presenting Morning News & Sydney Afternoon News today.

2 Likes

Peter Overton presenting tonight’s Sydney bulletin from Tathra. I’d expect that Deb will be presenting from the studio with non-bushfire related stories.

4 Likes

13-14 hour shift for her then. I would think if she was gonna present 6pm, the Today newsreader would be someone else. Unless she would like to work for most of the day (or she’s able to get the shift broken into two).

edit: would we hear a new VO (is that Matthew Sullivan’s one they use now?), did Peter Harvey record a specific “and” or won’t there be a VO?

Why does the VO need to introduce both readers? It will be the standard VO introducing Pete. If there is a newsreader in studio then Pete will introduce them he throws back.

2 Likes

She’s done worse before. I’m sure she’ll cope.

2 Likes

they’d be co-presenting the news together. Deb will be presenting more than Pete, so if he gets his VO, one would think the newsreader reading most of the news gets the same treatment.

I would think the bulletin would start with Deb, cross to Pete then come back to Deb. it would also be nice hearing a double headed VO (when was the last one at TCN even heard?)

I doubt it; i’d say the bulletin will begin with Pete on the field and then cross back to Deb with the rest of the days news and include a couple exchanges throughout the bulletin back and forth with updates on the bushfire.

1 Like

Today finishes at 9 so she’d not going to sit around the office until 2 in the afternoon.

This isn’t the first time this has happened and the precedent is that the bulletin opens as usual with the presenter in the field and they introduce the backup presenter in the studio midway through the bulletin.

Deb presented the evening news update during the local 4pm edition, She reassured viewers that Peter Overton will be live from the fire grounds:

7 Likes

I agree that we’ll most likely see Peter Overton open the bulletin as usual before crossing to Deborah Knight for “the rest of the days news” with crosses back to Pete for updates & probably the closer.

However, I’m pretty sure there have been previous examples of Nine News Sydney presenting all or at least a majority of the bulletin presented on-location. One that instantly comes to mind is the Rooty Hill RSL OB in March 2013, which had both Pete & Kenny on-location:

2 Likes

They have to have Deb in studio anyway incase there was technical difficulties.

I just really hope that Nine does have Deb to the rest of the day’s news. I don’t find Pete doing an OB for bushfires when he is reporting on a car accident appropriate.

1 Like

5:16pm Update. Would of thought a lapel mic would be more convenient.

2 Likes