Nine News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

Monday (12.02.2018): Elizabeth Bryan presented the Early News.

1 Like

Chloe Bugelly filed a report for Nineā€™s Afternoon Newsā€¦ Possibly returned to the network as another Europe correspondent?

1 Like

Sheā€™s still freelancing I believe. Great to see her back though!

2 Likes

Why have they rolled out a frail looking Brian Henderson to spruik Peter Overton for Nine News?

I can see they want to give him credibility but it doesnā€™t look great.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™d say that getting presenters/reporters like Mel McLaughlin & Robert Ovadia to talk up Mark Ferguson for Seven News Sydney promos is really that much betterā€¦

Whatā€™s that got to do with this promo?

Iā€™m not saying what any other network has done is better or worse. Iā€™m just saying this promo looks terrible.

Who are they trying to appeal to? Pensioners in their 70s and 80s?

Itā€™s the same concept.

I suspect the reason that Nine have gotten Brian Henderson (and also the more recently retired Ken Sutcliffe & Laurie Oakes) to talk up Peter Overton in their current promos is because Nine News has a long history of being trusted and respected in the Sydney market - getting Hendo to talk up Pete is meant to reinforce that.

3 Likes

I think Ken and Laurie might be fine and Hendo doing the same fifteen or ten years ago.

But I just donā€™t think it works now with Hendo looking so old and frail., to be honest

18 Likes

I might be bored on the train home but it is funny how both Melbourne weeknight newsreader Peters have Twitter profile pics of their old news sets.

But, their messages show the professionalism both men have.

6 Likes

Canā€™t imagine either Mark Ferguson or Peter Overton would congratulate each other if either was to achieve that milestoneā€¦

6 Likes

Maybe if they both did 30 years and 45 years at their respected networks, then yes.

Despite being on-air rivals for much of their careers, I could imagine Brian Henderson & Roger Climpson congratulating each other when either of them achieved a major on-air milestone.

But yeah. With the Australian TV/media landscape as it is now, Mark Ferguson or Peter Overton probably wonā€™t get to read the 6pm news for 45 years. But thatā€™s not to say either (Pete in particular) wonā€™t be on air for another 15-20 years or more, of courseā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™d imagine Roger and Hendo have a good working relationship.

Fergo and Pete on the other handā€¦not so much.

1 Like

I canā€™t imagine there would be many news reading colleagues that have sour relationships with each simply because they are at different networks or may have both done the same role at the same network.

I would even go as far to say that the vast majority would share a comeraderie because they are ultimately all journalists, and they all share a passion for what they do, and would admire each otherā€™s work.

I donā€™t imagine Ferguson would be cranky at Overton because he was replaced. Fergo would be professional enough to know Peter didnā€™t have anything to do with that decision, and he ended up in the same role at Seven anyhow.

3 Likes

I recall media reports about Overton having been promised the Sydney 6pm chair when Ferguson was appointed. Iā€™m sure he campaigned extensively to have Ferguson removed and used his close relationship with Gyngell to get his dream job.

3 Likes

Interesting.

Although Peter Overton wasnā€™t exactly a newcomer to TCN in Late 2004/Early 2005 when they gave up on Jim Waley, Fergo was probably picked because he was the weekend presenter + main fill-in for Waley in 2003/04.

That saidā€¦even if Peter Overton & Mark Ferguson mightnā€™t be the best of friends, they probably wouldnā€™t have agreed to been seen together (along with Sandra Sully & Juanita Phillips) in that print/TV campaign for the Anver Nahmai Pancreatic Cancer Foundation a few years if they were really enemies off screen.

1 Like

This is one of the reports I recall reading at the time Ferguson was replaced by Overton on Nine News:

I donā€™t think weā€™ll be seeing Ferguson congratulating Overton on a milestone any time soon.

1 Like

Thanks for the link, but I donā€™t know that Iā€™d believe everything I see in the papers.

TV newsrooms donā€™t work in the same way as say politics, itā€™s not like as when Julia Gillard knifed Kevin Rudd.

1 Like

The only people left watching TV news are people in their 70s and 80s. Probably not such a bad idea.