Nine News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

Justine Conway is filling in for Livinia Nixon who is away on holidays.

2 Likes

17 Likes

Mark Burrows is presenting Tuesday - Thursday Morning News & Sydney Afternoon News.

1 Like

Andrew Lofthouse anchoring solo in Brisbane this week.

1 Like

Ex Nine News Darwin reporter Georgie Chumbley has joined the Seven News team in Brisbane.

2 Likes

Melbourne suburban paper Progress Leader has a great profile on Peter Hitchener this week. He has an account in nearly every social media site that you can think of, which can be compared with many celebrities in the US.

6 Likes

As well as presenting Nine News Now earlier in the day, Belinda Russell presented the weather on tonight’s Nine News Sydney. Although by now, I think it’s an established fact that Belinda Russell is the main fill-in for Amber Sherlock in both roles.

Re, the discussion about presenters with the surname of Wilkie who used to do the weather…

It was Alan Wilkie who was the weather presenter/meteorologist on National Nine News in Sydney from about the Late '70s (as I understand it, Alan was poached from Seven) until his December 2001 retirement.

I have no idea who presented weather on Nine Sydney before Alan Wilkie, but I’m pretty sure Nine would’ve had newsreader-read forecasts until Georgie Gardner joined the network in July 2002 to be the forecaster for Brian Henderson’s final months.

Alan’s brother Ray Wilkie presented the weather on Ten in Brisbane for years and also had a stint presenting Sydney/Late News forecasts around 1991-92.

There were probably some National Nine News Sydney bulletins back in the day which had Ian Ross reading the news and Alan Wilkie presenting the weather, but I don’t think there was ever an Ian Wilkie!

1 Like

Peter Overton 's quick wit was on display during Nine News Sydney tonight.

A clanking sound was heard whilst Cameron Williams presented the headline sport items.

When Cameron crossed back to Pete, Pete then explained that the sound was part of Cameron’s microphone falling on the floor (there wasn’t any loss of sound from Cameron though)…

Pete then quipped to Cameron… “At least you didn’t fall off your chair” :grinning:

8 Likes

presenters wear two mics in case one fails… possibly one fell off the clip and the studio was quick to drop the level so it didn’t sound weird.

2 Likes

Mark Burrows also presenting Friday Morning News & Sydney Afternoon News, filling in for Deb Knight.

1 Like

I wonder why they use Mark Burrows a lot lately, when Jayne Azzopardi could easily fill-in.

3 Likes

I had hoped Jayne would be used more often as a fill in as she is a much better newsreader than Mark.But unfortunately Mark has been the main fill in on daytime bulletins in recent months.
Considering she is Weekend Today newsreader she should be used on weekday bulletins, but obviously they want her focus to be on reporting for Nine News Sydney on weekdays.

2 Likes

It’s quite odd that Nine keep using Mark instead of Jayne, Amelia, Tom etc.

2 Likes

My guess is that Nine keep using Mark Burrows as a fill-in newsreader for the same reasons that Seven uses Chris Reason as a fill-in newsreader.

Of course, I’d personally prefer to see presenters like Amelia Adams, Jayne Azzopardi, Tom Steinfort and Sophie Walsh used as fill-ins whenever Deb & Davina (or in the case of Nine News Sydney - Pete, GG and Deb) are unavailable.

2 Likes

Nine loves their consistency and I think Nine News Sydney would be anchored by Pete, GG and Deb only in the foreseeable future.

However, I definitely agree that they should be grooming talents on their news programs from their crop of reporters, as should Seven because Seven right now has a lot of good reporters (as good as Nine’s) but they need to be bettered.

1 Like

Realistically, I don’t expect the “Pete, GG and Deb in that order” newsreader roster for Nine News Sydney to change anytime soon and fair enough too.

However, there are occasionally bulletins when Nine Sydney’s “main three” will be unavailable (the Christmas/New Year period comes to mind) - that is when I’d like to see quality talent such as Amelia, Jayne, Tom & Sophie used as fill-in presenters.

1 Like

Hopefully they don’t use Ben Fordham as fill in again this year,as there are many capable newsreaders (as you listed) that could be used instead.

3 Likes

Mark is such a bore. At least Reaso has some authority.

Sorry, I don’t see Tom and Sophie as quality talent, at least not yet. Since returning to Australia, I find Tom, I know you will disagree, to be a pretty bad presenter. He tends to um and read fast, exaggerating the wrong words. Tim Davies is a much better male presenter.

When the winning trio aren’t available though, I too would like to see Jayne Azzopardi and Cameron Williams anchoring. I firmly believe that the anchors of the 6pm News, whether it is a busy news day or Christmas Day, should be a familiar face; one they see on a nightly base.

Thankfully, I think Ben’s excessive use in the past 18 months or so, will be limited since Jodie returned from ML. In fact, I expect him to rarely fill-in for Karl on Today from now on.

2 Likes

And Reaso is actually a very good newsreader from a technical perspective. He might be wooden but his delivery is always spot on which is not something you could say about Burrows. Never seen him present without tripping over himself at least a few times and his pace always seems to be off.

4 Likes

Ah thanks, I thought it might have been the wireless transmitter that they usually clip on the back of their belt had fallen on the floor.