Nine News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

Georgie Gardner has returned from holidays and is back presenting Friday & Saturday 6pm Sydney News.

5 Likes

Tonight’s bulletin will also be GG’s first presenting in the new set, if I’m not mistaken! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Saturday (04.02.17) - Sunday (05.02.17): Alison Arriotti is anchoring solo in Queensland again this weekend.

Does anyone else find that Alicia Loxely reads fast and speaks like she is yelling? If she reads this forum I honestly urge her to watch Nine news first at 5 broadcast from today!

I don’t really mind her presenting style although I definitely would say her main arch-rival Jennifer Keyte is a much better presenter IMO, who deserves to win so much more than she does (rare wins last year even with the AFL).

4 Likes

Realistically, I can’t see Nine replacing Peter Overton anytime in the foreseeable future unless they have to.

Overton is currently 50 (turning 51 on April 5, I believe) so presuming that he doesn’t leave or defect, one could imagine Nine being able to get another 10, possibly even 20 years (it’s not that unrealistic, Brian Henderson read Nine’s Sydney news until he was 71!) out of him.

The successor to Peter Overton will probably be someone who isn’t even on our radars at this point in time.

Speaking of this, Peter Hitchener is turning 71 this year, and it seems like there is at least another 5 years inside Hitch, which is got to be good news for us viewers right (Hitchener is probably the Hendo of Melbourne TBH)?

7 Likes

Yeah, it’s a good thing. I wonder if Hitchener just might overtake Henderson as Australia’s longest ever serving newsreader at some point? :slight_smile:

I would’ve said that the late Brian Naylor is the Hendo of Melbourne (for obvious reasons), but there’s absolutely no doubt that Peter Hitchener is a Melbourne TV news icon in his own right.

I used to remember people mention the ‘Two Brians’ Success’. Isn’t it about time we changed it to the ‘Two Peters’? :wink:

No doubt the late Brian Naylor is also a news legend of his own. However IIRC Brian served at HSV-7 for 8 years before switching to GTV where he served 20 years. Whereas Hitch was there when the late Sir Eric Pearce was the chief newsreader (from 1974 IIRC), so Hitch has served in GTV for 40+ years, just like Hendo. Hence why I say Hitch is like the Hendo of Melbourne because the late Brian Naylor was another great anchor who changed to a different network after a long career at a rival network, whereas Hitch was (almost) a Nine boy from the beginning.

1 Like

They recently let the obvious replacement go to 7. I can’t think of anyone in the current lineup at 9 who would make the cut.

1 Like

If in the chance Peter Overton was to leave anytime soon, of course they’d most likely give the position to either Georgie Gardner or Deborah Knight. But for as long as he remains at the network and avoids defecting or getting caught up in a major controversy, Peter Overton will probably still be the lead presenter of Nine News Sydney for another decade or two.

I think Nine News Sydney actually wants to be known for stability in their newsreading talent (in contrast to Seven and Ten who continually chop and change) by having three main choices, just like they did back in the 1980s and 1990s. So it’s rather pointless speculating about a future lead presenter of Nine News Sydney at this time.

2 Likes

Brett McLeod is back presenting Sunday First At Five News.

1 Like

Airlie Walsh presented Early News this week.

1 Like

http://honey.nine.com.au/2017/02/06/14/31/vanessa-o-hanlon-nine-canberra
Vanessa O’Hanlon was going to be a weather recruit for Nine before being offered anchor of Nine News regional.

3 Likes

Hitch is live on Facebook showing off the set

3 Likes

Possibly replacing Stevie on Today?

5 Likes

Nine makeup artists need to ease up on Overton’s face. He’s starting to rival Cruella De Ville.

3 Likes

@Tom_TV7

1 Like

vs:

[quote=“Awabakal, post:810, topic:2086”]
I don’t get the hate for Darren and Alison. I think because people consider her to have a lisp and Darren “bug-eyes” puts them off. I say focus on the experience, the bulletin, the reporting, you know, the things that actually matter.
[/quote] They are both absolutely shocking, way worse than Mark Ferguson.

1 Like

totally disagree. Darren and Alison have personality, Mark has none.