Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

I would love, love, love to see it happen but sadly I don’t think it would work in this country.

The networks would struggle to fill a half-hour national bulletin. You’d have a story out of Canberra, a couple of reports from the foreign bureaus and then what? You either load up on international news or start covering major state-based stories and in both cases most of your audience switches off because they’re just not interested. Australians are incredibly insular.

The existing format works because they can mix local, national and international stories to fill the whole hour while still keeping the audience engaged.

I think for Nine the resources would be better spent investing in local news after 9pm and at Seven on a new national news chat format at 7pm.

3 Likes

I agree.

Australia has local TV markets are intensely parochial with often fierce state rivalries (even in sport we’re divided when it comes to which football code to support during the Winter!), so the composite format is probably the best way to go for evening TV news in the major metropolitan markets in this country.

1 Like

When the sponsorship message matches the headlines.

5 Likes

In theory that’s great. Did the ABC try something like this with The National in the 1980s?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Nine Network 2019

Why would it be better? No-one watches national newscasts at 6. They would kiss goodbye to most of their audience.

1 Like

Closing shot in Brisbane.

2 Likes

Wentworth By-election Update:

8 Likes

Interesting graphics. Have they refreshed the election supers?

3 Likes

Why do the supers cover more than 1/3 of the screen?

1 Like

That whole package, including the backdrops on the screens is awful.

2 Likes

Some caps from last night’s 6PM opener in Sydney.

1 Like

Full set of caps from last night’s Wentworth By-Election Update caps - there were three updates from what I saw:

Personally I was wondering if Nine News used their Wentworth By-Election Updates as an opportunity to test a possible update to the On-Air Presentation package for their Election coverage. With elections in Victoria, NSW and federally happening over the next six months or so, one can imagine Nine wanting to have a fresh look for their coverage of those three important polls.

Anyway, I agree that the supers were way too big - especially the Votes Counted/Nine Prediction poll graphics. For Election Graphics, smaller sizes are better (especially these days with HD becoming more common) and if done well, can even be utilised to fit more information in!

4 Likes

Camera was focused on the background for report - the wind on the balcony of the Nine GC office looks gusty!

2 Likes

Local morning news for Queensland

9 Likes

Nine’s Afternoon News for Brisbane is a 90 minute bulletin today. It immediately follows their rolling coverage of the Royal Tour at 3.30pm.

Andrew shouldn’t be hosting rolling coverage. Wendy Kingston would have been a better choice or even Eva Milic from the GC bureau.

2 Likes

Andrew read the news. Melissa is hosting the rolling coverage.

He is also co-anchoring from the studio right now.

1 Like

3.30 News Brisbane

Royal tour coverage has finished.

6 Likes

Looks like a possible setup for tonight with Andrew in studio and Melissa on Fraser. The forecast looks clear.

2 Likes