Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

That is a really great promo. @TheMoreYouKnow , I see what you are saying but I think it is appropriate; he is probably the main reason why Nine is number 1.

5 Likes

The overall quality of the latest Nine News Melbourne promo is good, but I personally think it would’ve been even better if Alicia Loxley was allowed to say a line or two with both Hitch and Loxley standing together at the end.

6 Likes

You will have to check with @TV.Cynic , but I don’t think Nine News is number one on weekends (AFL Saturdays usually favour Seven considerably). Plus, I wouldn’t confidently say that Alicia will replace Pete.

1 Like

Absolutely he is. And they should still promote him.

But how much longer will he be there? It’s time to start promoting the other options. After 20 years, they don’t need to raise Hitch’s profile but they do need to raise Alicia’s.

2 Likes

“Real People, Real Stories, Real News” VO sounded familiar

2 Likes

Fair point about the ratings but I’m not sure if that necessarily implies that Alicia Loxley is unpopular with Melbourne viewers since Seven usually rates very well in Melbourne on weekends due to AFL coverage as you pointed out.

That said, it wouldn’t be overly surprising if Nine were to pick Brett McLeod or (hopefully not) Tony Jones to succeed Hitch when the time comes although I’d probably now say that Alicia is more likely to be chosen over Jo Hall.

According to this TV Tonight article from 2014, Peter Hitchener’s current contract will run until 2019 at by which point he’ll overtake the terms served by Brian Naylor & Sir Eric Pearce along with the record currently held by Brian Henderson as Australia’s longest serving newsreader (in at least the number of years he’s been on-air for anyway).

Of course that doesn’t necessarily mean that Peter Hitchener will definitely retire at the end of next year, but it probably would be a smart idea for Nine News Melbourne to start promoting Alicia Loxley (or whoever is actually taking over) in promos alongside Hitch right now since there’s likely to be more uncertainty about his future at the moment compared to 10 or even 5 years ago.

More like 40-45 years when you take into consideration the many years Pete presented the weekend news and everything else, but otherwise I agree.

And just to be clear, I’d also really like to see Nine News Sydney feature both Peter Overton & Deborah Knight together in promos even though a succession plan obviously isn’t a big priority (fair enough too) for TCN right now!

2 Likes

It is a closer contest on the weekend in Melbourne especially on Sunday but Nine’s bulletin is still number one.

5 Likes

There were no on-screen and OTS graphics in the first block of Brisbane’s news tonight (courtesy of @ScreenTower ):

(No OTS at 04:54 )

Brisbane has also been doing the zoom-in for the opener over the past month instead of the wideshot, as that is what Seven News Brisbane do.

2 Likes

Same here in Perth 4 days ago.

1 Like

3/8/2018

No music at the end.

Sorry to be pedantic, but… The object in the sky is a meteor. If it survives the passage though the atmosphere and lands, then it’s a meteorite.

2 Likes

Glitched banner at the end of Nine News: Early Edition (6/8/2018)

3 Likes

it was believed to have crashed near Cooma.

Regardless of whether it crashed, it is a meteor that people saw in the sky.

ABC got it right

Looking at the clips of Nine News Queensland that @Zampakid recorded during his recent Gold Coast trip, why do I get the impression that someone might be telling Andrew Lofthouse to make his voice sound higher/faster/more dramatic to match the increasingly tabloid content of QTQ’s 6pm bulletin? Looking at clips when he was at the ABC and even his earlier days at Nine, he never used to sound like this.

Also, I reckon some of the stories played on Nine News Queensland wouldn’t be out of place on A Current Affair. Yes it’s fair to say that Nine News Sydney and other services within the network have dubious stories from time to time, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen our edition ever stoop as low as having “Tips on buying used cars” (or something like that) as a heavily promoted “Special Report”! :open_mouth:

5 Likes

Lets not ignore the stupid transitions they use for those stories too.

1 Like

And similar to ACA they recycle the stories - that particular one would be on its third iteration I reckon.

Tonight’s promoted “must see” story has been seen multiple times as well:

And there is a Gold Coast version as well :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Arsonists in Auchenflower?
Meddlers in Milton?
Perjurers in Petrie?
Embezzlers in Enoggera?
Looters in Logan?

9 Likes

First story on Nine’s “local” Gold Coast news was the Indonesian earthquake including GC residents sharing their experiences by Skype. Running out of local content?

Nine Gold Coast News Montages:

30th July 2018

2nd August 2018

3rd August 2018

Juice 107.3 Promo

Promo:

6 Likes