Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Really? So why have they only just rolled them out?? It doesn’t seem to make sense to me. Anyway, Nine should of used this original concept, it looks so much nicer, would of been nice to have it on the screen. Any place where I can find some more concepts?? (also how did you find out about the WIN graphics being made years ago)

From 9 News Melbourne (obviously). Not something that is seen commonly with Melb news. But then again I get the sh*t local news with Jo Hall, and the crap background, only get the national news on weekends, but that aside. Using the video wall for an in studio report.

1 Like

I should point out that those are not in chronological (I typed that without spellcheck) order. The wide shot (ish) came before the front on of Brett (McLeod)

The same reason why the Nine News theme is still being used on WIN News bulletins under a Ten affiliation.

opener_frame_30

13 Likes

Am surprised it’s taken them that long, I mean all those years and never won a week.

1 Like

On the discussion of concepts/early work, I have found part of the contents of the post which was deleted 1.5 years ago.
These were early concepts for the current Nine News package. Unfortunately I was unable to retrieve two other images of the work :frowning:

images%20(1)imagesunnamed%20(1)unnamed

EDIT: My bad, I found the post @RegionalTV
Nine News Content and Appearance

5 Likes

Definitely surprised he lasted all those years and made no in roads into 7 Adelaide’s ratings. I believe they shouldn’t change the presenters but need to try and change the locked dials on 7 in Adelaide. Not 100% sure how’ll they’ll achieve it though, might have to be like 9 Perth and just wait until the lineup at 7 changes.

2 Likes

15 years under 3 different owners…

Meanwhile Seven continues advertising on the side of their building “7 News/Today Tonight… No 1 in Adelaide always”

2 Likes

Hopefully they move away from just AFL in their sport department, and more local content in the news. Stand out from the crowd by adding content, not just looking the same as seven. Your not the AFL channel, so talk about it, but also talk about all the other sports etc.

1 Like

Here’s a thought, more time on news, quick briefing of sport, token Crows, Power story for them and get on with the rest of the news.

Adelaide should respond well to local content as was successfully achieved by 5:30pm show, Brisbane Extra. For 17 years, Extra ran human interest and consumer stories that were so successful, they saw off a revolving door of lead in shows tried down south.

Extra’s content lives on in the much lamented and highly over hyped consumer stories that I’m sure people have commented. That said 6:30 - 7 with those local consumer stories, often the saviour for 9 in Bris.

Can easily be tested on a weekend, try a folksy face, I guess Cosi or the like has long term lasting power and get him doing a few Doug Murray like stories (plenty on Youtube if you’re wondering who Doug was, sadly died far too soon).

Must be a few young female journos with some personality to pursue the consumer stories, put a couple on the round and see what happens.

Shame for Agars, he’d kept a steady ship in what was likely very trying times prior to 9’s purchase. Leadership is all about making tough decisions as he’d know, 9 have done that, hopefully they give Puds the time & assistance necessary.

Will be interesting to see if James Manning and Tim Burrowes cover this in detail.

2 Likes

I like them better than the vortex, but they also remind me of a white golf ball.

1 Like

Well that red banner thingy during GMA has just returned to its original size.

How dare you suggest that Amanda Patterson is anything but the pinnacle of journalistic quality.

1 Like

Is this a joke or?

Brisbane was the only market where Extra worked. It was a national (local) production, but it tanked in every other market after only a handful of years - if that many.

Every market seems to be different, and with the trend these days of nationalising everything the days of local branding are long gone.

1 Like

if the dots weren’t surrounding the globe, I actually think this is more appealing than the current graphics. Especially that last image with the logo

1 Like

Seven Melbourne/Perth and Adelaide seem to be bucking the trend.

1 Like

My comment is not about ‘bring back Extra’, it’s to use what elements worked and see if they assist the Adelaide bulletin the way they seem to in Brisbane.

One would imagine that Nine Adelaide & Perth are actually waiting for two things to happen which may help their news ratings.

*The retirements of John & Jane and Rick & Sue respectively.
*Hoping that the Nine Network snatches the free to air TV rights to broadcast the AFL off Seven for the deal beginning with the 2022 season.

Not sure about the other markets, but it’s to my understanding that Sydney Extra (initially hosted by Jim Waley, with Gina Boon taking over later in the year after he moved onto establish Nightline) lasted only one year in 1992 - axed after the final pre-Christmas show and didn’t return for 1993.

Not the only news lead-in program to have limited ratings success before Nine realised they needed to have a gameshow competing against a gameshow, but that’s another story…

Agreed. Local branding seems to be on the wane in general with there being more of a focus on national and international branding these days, but this is hardly a trend unique to TV/media.

2 Likes

Nine had the rights to AFL a while ago and Seven News Perth still outrated Nine Perth. People here just generally hate Nine.

2 Likes