Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

that’d work.

This aired during 60 Minutes

5 Likes

Well, the Brisbane bug has spread south. In Sydney, Amber will be presenting the weather from the larger/main screen as of tonight.

1 Like

:man_facepalming:

Nine News Sydney: You’re one of only two cities who are very fortunate enough to have a videowall behind the weather plasma on the right hand side of your set, so please use that for the weather presentation!

Facebook news update for Sydney

2 Likes

And have grid lines running through what are already difficult to read graphics? No thanks.

3 Likes

Screenshots of tonight’s new weather presentation style on Nine News Sydney:

Just incase you’re wondering, Cam still sits (and for the top story, stands) in his usual position for Sport.

12 Likes

Would be good to see a video if anyone has it. I want to see if it is as awkward as it is in Brisbane.

I think for both Brisbane and Sydney, the sport should just be presented from the RHS of the desk. No point switching positions during the ad break.

4 Likes

I watched tonight and it is really bad - Amber standing aimlessly in the middle of some graphics, awkward cuts between angles, pixelated graphics, and of course the clunking of her shoes as she moves back and forth.

I like the concept (especially the cross to/from) but it falls flat on execution for me. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with a nice simple keyed presentation like what Seven does, put the focus on the content rather than distracting from it with convoluted presentation.

8 Likes

Well Said !!!

3 Likes

Sounds a lot like what a happens here in Queensland.

My two pet hates of this weather presentation:

1. The awkward walk from the front to the back of the screen. Garry even turns his back to the camera at times
  2. When they cut from today’s temps to the satellite, changing cameras. It looks so amateur. Garry’s been cut out of the shot many times. Have they heard of a steady,sweeping zoom in???

I like the idea, it is just poorly executed. I think it strengthens their weather presentation though, given in both cities, Nine are competing against very good meteorologists.

3 Likes

@ScreenTower has uploaded it.

https://youtu.be/ewmgnp-Woxg?t=3423

2 Likes

That was just awful.

Video of TCN’s new style of weather presentation, for those interested:

The highlighted bit is the only thing I disagree with.

I personally would’ve liked to see something like additional information for the suburban and/or statewide forecast segments introduced with the new format. Better yet would be new primary & secondary weather presenters in the Sydney market (IMO, both Amber & Belinda are overrated at best), but don’t get me started on that again!

4 Likes

but, but… shiny set! weather wall!! nothing beats it.

3 Likes

The problem I have with big screens is that the graphics generally look really bad on them. Pixelated, washed out and often weirdly morphed/stretched/off-centre.

That’s because the resolution isn’t set correctly.
Either the graphics are produced at a smaller resolution which then become blurred/blocky when stretched to the big plasma walls. Or they have splurged on cheap screens

you’ll find they’re designed for HD and not whatever the hell resolution the screens are in. (probably 8K at that size)

Their screens have 13 million pixels, apparently.

So, 13K then…