Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Caps of Adelaide bulletins today.
4pm News

6pm News

6 Likes

Will doesn’t usually host on Thursdays, wonder if it’s to do with the election.

I think you also have to look at the complexity of the bulletin. Nine have a lot of stuff going on for the automation to cue up, roll, move, zoom, light, audio etc… they have supers over everything, transitions galore.

Ten, by comparison, is very simplistic and therefore has less chance of things going wrong. Clearly the producers at Ten accepted the change in abilities whereas Nine haven’t.

Recently a quarter frame graphic failed to load for Ten Brisbane because of the elements previously, and the Brisbane mixing desk that Mosart controls can’t handle an OTS straight after whatever it was.

Darren Wick on re-instating the late news:

1 Like

Really, The Verdict failed because it was terrible TV and it had Stefanovic as the host with obnoxious panelists. Enough said.

Regarding late news, I don’t think anyone’s gonna jump on it anytime soon because networks have no interest in whatever’s being aired after their reality shows.

6 Likes

We keep hearing talk of Seven and Nine developing late night news/magazine formats but they never seem to get off the ground. At one stage Seven was going to revive Newsworld and had producers working on segments for it. The pilot can’t have been much good because the idea was quickly dropped.

2 Likes

The Verdict was a poor man’s Q&A hosted by Karl Stefanovic with people like Mark Latham as regular panellists. I can’t imagine why viewers didn’t find that particularly appealing…

The thing that would set a late commercial need bulletin apart from ABC News, etc is local news. They should condense the 1 hour 6pm bulletin into 30 minutes. Good opportunity for reporters to get presentation experience too.

1 Like

Really if Nine want a similar magazine type late news program probably move Nine News Now to a later schedule… and scrap some of the segments that wouldn’t work for a late night bulletin.

Does anybody else find it quite outrageous that 9 Sydney used vision from a fire that destroyed three buildings in Tathra back in January in its opener tonight and during the live cross at the top of the bulletin on today’s bushfire emergency?!

Here is the link to the Youtube clip, I assume they took the vision from and a snap of the headlines and the vision they used in tonight’s bulletin, not only in the opener, but then in the live cross.

It is incredibly misleading and to think they used it as the first pictures at the top of their bulletin is quite astonishing.

16 Likes

Geez, that’s pretty bad.

Hopefully the ABC’s Media Watch program will take a look at this!

5 Likes

11 Likes

I’m pretty sure Nine was using a SD link-up for Peter Overton’s shot. Personally I was more distracted by the fact that Pete had a partially unbuttoned shirt (I know not to expect studio-levels of presentation at the scene of a bushfire disaster, but still slightly unprofessional looking IMO)!

Although interestingly enough, there was a live cross to Bega in native HD:

For what it’s worth, only the first 15 minutes or so of the bulletin + a couple of crosses back were presented by Peter Overton from Tathra with Deborah Knight doing “the rest of the days news” from Studio 1 at Willoughby as per usual.

9 Likes

You’re concerned about a ‘partially unbuttoned shirt’? I hope you’re not being serious man :joy:

As you can probably see by the sweat patches on his shirt, I can’t imagine it was a very comfortable place to be. Bushfire zones aren’t a very glamorous location, so IMO Pete was very appropriately dressed.

16 Likes

I agree, Pete was appropriately attired for the occasion.

Politicans also don’t usually put on suits for these occasions either.

Malcolm Turnbull and Andrew Constance (NSW Transport Minister and Bega MP) were both in Tathra today and had open necked business shirts on too.

7 Likes

Nine run HD as far as they can from what I know.

1 Like

They did at the end of tonight’s episode: http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4819037.htm

7 Likes

Last nights Nine News presented by Pete & Deb:

7 Likes

Not sure if this was just a one off (due to our much needed rain/cool down) or it’s going to be a regular thing, but Sydney’s weather preview was presented a bit differently tonight. You could say the presentation style wasn’t overly dissimilar to what Gary Youngberry has been doing in South East Queensland lately, although the actual forecast was still presented from the usual position.

Unfortunately I only caught the end of this, but I think you get the general idea:

Also, Kelly Fedor tonight used an umbrella during her live cross (a different one to the 2006-08 era “National Nine News” umbrella which was also seen on a fairly recent live cross in Sydney) that had to be over a decade old:

I know what you’re thinking…it doesn’t really matter how old the umbrella is as long as it keeps the reporter dry and fair enough. But surely Nine has a few more umbrellas with the current Channel Nine or Nine News logo? :confused:

9 Likes

Did you notice Amber nearly fell over on her heels as she was walking towards the end of that segment?

5 Likes