Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

A couple more caps from the closer of Sydney’s 4pm news, showing Studio 21 in use:

Also, I’m not sure if this is another new thing for the bulletin but just before the final ad break, there was a cross to Peter Overton in the news exchange (was called “the newsroom” on-air but I think that’s in a different area of TCN. Anyway…) previewing tonight’s 6pm bulletin:

One wonders what the 2.5 million or so viewers in Regional NSW/ACT who’ll be seeing Vanessa or Paul/Tash at 6pm made of that preview for a bulletin they won’t get to watch…

13 Likes

Very nice graphics, would be good to adopt them for TODAY

1 Like

What the bleep is going on with that backdrop. It’s ugly enough as it is but you don’t need to include fake curved screen effects when it’s being shown on a curved screen ffs!!!

11 Likes

No different to many viewers on Prime7 who gets a Fergo update during the arvo news when those in NNSW and SNSW gets Madelaine Collignon, Kenny Heatley and Daniel Gibson for their 6pm/6:30 news.

They could always air their local newsbreak in place of it (just cut to it as soon as Amelia mentions Pete’s name or just air it at the beginning of the next ad break).

A few more things, while the set looks better, why so much white??? Seems like Nine is trying to emulate Sunrise, who are already bad enough as they are with the whites, and does this mean that studio 23 is only used for Today Extra and ACA?

However, I wouldn’t mind Nine News regional adopting some of the rings for their local news rather than their current ‘virtual’ stuff. Would look 10000x better.

1 Like

Yes, I think there’s far too much going on with that backdrop as well.

Hmm, fair point.

While I can perfectly understand why Seven and Nine want to promote their Sydney 6pm bulletins during the 4pm bulletin, at the same time they need to be mindful that the 4pm bulletin does air in places which won’t be seeing the 6pm bulletin! Personally I think both networks should include clear opt-out points in their 4pm bulletin so the regionals can seamlessly cut away from the irrelevant Sydney 6pm news preview to promote their own 6pm news offerings.

4 Likes

Or just do a prerecord and say something like:

‘But first here’s a look at what’s coming up in your local news tonight at 6’

or if they really want to go local:

‘But first here’s what’s making news on NBN tonight’

‘But first here’s Vanessa O’Hanlon with a look at what’s making news tonight’

2 Likes

Pretty sure that they just forgot to upgrade the backdrop as they used the fake curves in the old studio.

5 Likes

Looks like it though wouldn’t they have needed to adjust it to fit the wider aspect ratio of the screen in studio 21 vs 23?

The left-hand side of the main Sydney liveshot (showing mostly the Opera House) would look soo much better than that current still image! (Like what Seven’s 4pm News do in Sydney) :wink:

I agree with that. Maybe they could increase the previews to around 90 seconds or two minutes (with the remainder of the opt-out time for a short regional weather update), because the live Sydney presenter crossover might last as long as that. The procedure can be like this from @Tom_TV7:

…which is really needed for regional viewers. If they prefer the first option, maybe the 4pm presenter can pause for about two seconds before crossing to Peter or Georgie for Nine Sydney, then pause again for a few before switching back…

1 Like

that would make sense, as most parts of the supers have the curve corners, which matches the Now logo, which IS different from the rest of channel nine

Promo currently airing for the new Nine News App:

Having a Peter Overton voiceover this is obviously the Sydney version (so I presume that each capital city has their own version with a local newsreader VO) but from what I saw just before an ad break during Nine News Now yesterday afternoon, there’s also a national version of the promo with a Matthew O’Sullivan voiceover.

12 Likes

I’m pretty sure I saw it Sunday night with Hitch doing the VO here in Melbs so must be a localised version for each market.

1 Like

Border northeast Facebook posted June with Jo hall

Correct.

Brenton Ragless does the VO for Adelaide.

Can confirm localisation. Aldi checkout chick doing Brisbane’s.

20 Likes

In the latest installment of “Nine News Sydney Automation Fails Make You LOL”, we now cross live to this testcard in Canberra:

Meanwhile at 6pm, there was this “blink and you’ll miss it” moment:

Personally I find these errors hilarious (and it’s more material for the TCN Christmas Tape I suppose) but as usual, it’s rather concerning how often they happen these days!

11 Likes

Looks like they were actually trying to cross to themselves in that first one (TCN9 Studio 21 Camera One!!).

7 Likes

What’s with those fake curves on the Sydney 4pm background!? Talk about design fail.

Speaking of fails… Nine News Now also had a big automation fail today during the chatroom segment.

This attempt to use the new Brisbane studio happened on the weekend. For some reason the political reported was placed right of screen rather than in the sports chair. There were numerous awkward paused and wrong camera shots.

8 Likes