Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Obviously the sport was presented from the “new” regional studio :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I can’t understand why the apparent need to have a presentation from Sydney when at least part of the current Brisbane set and cameras are operational enough to present a sports package. Unless it was purely for presenter training?

1 Like

so if 9 news is in the ACA set in NSW will ACA be pro-rec

2 Likes

It was only for tonight. They are back in Brisbane tomorrow but not sure what they will be doing.

2 Likes

Umm ACA doesn’t air on weekends

1 Like

It wouldn’t hurt for them to spruce up their Gold Coast and Darwin sets. Not necessarily build new sets, but a small refresh that could combine elements of their current sets and the national look, perhaps? We can also (hopefully) expect a new set for NBN once they move into their new premises at some point.

5 Likes
1 Like

Was sport in HD?

Tonight’s situation was brought about due to a massive server upgrade at QTQ - all part of the major investment being made at the station at the moment.

Presenters will be back in the current set tomorrow night.

New set and automation launches July 22.

For the record QTQ currently has two control rooms. Studio 41 operates 6pm news, studio 42 operates Gold Coast. This will change come July 22 with both bulletins coming out of the one control room. This is main reason the weekend team will be launching the new set so behind the scenes has had two days to iron out the cracks before and afternoon news and Gold Coast bulletins are launched.

FYI - new set is finished

Regional will come from the second new control room.

21 Likes

Nope, it wasn’t. (At least for the QTQ studio tonight.)

Agree, especially the GC, which is number 1 in the city. The current wood-set from Brisbane? Even their old broom cupboard set was flashier.

Which explains why they had to fly to Sydney instead of the GC, as the GC feed is controlled from QTQ in Brisbane.

They were.

1 Like

Obviously, a new set to align the GC with the other capital cities would be nice, but is unlikely. Even if they had to mix and match their former set with elements of the wood-Brisbane set would be better than the current.

I quickly mashed this up:

(Sorry about the desk, but nobody does those stupid angles).

7 Likes

The “stupid angles” are probably a reflection on how small the studio is.

4 Likes

Nine Gold Coast News is just being complacent because they’re so far ahead of Seven. A bit like Seven News Perth/Adelaide.

3 Likes

Realistically, a proper Nine News metro-style set isn’t going to happen on the Gold Coast because of the small studio space at 50 Cavil Avenue.

But at the very least, I’d try and bring a screen-dominated main backdrop in. Like the major East Coast markets, a live backdrop is pretty much essential for a Gold Coast news bulletin IMO. Perhaps even getting Bruce/Wendy to present some segments from the Weather plasma from time to time (including the use of story-specific presentation for major news, etc.) would be a great idea of mixing up the On-Air Presentation a bit?

As I’m sure we all know by now, Nine Gold Coast News has a 20.5 year advantage. Of course one can never say never when it comes to the TV news landscape but at the moment, I think it’ll probably take Seven Gold Coast News a very long time to properly catch up!

In any case, there’s plenty room for improvement on the Gold Coast News bulletins from both Seven & Nine. 5.30pm needs to be less like a slightly higher quality WIN or Prime7-like bulletin and closer to something you’d expect to see in Brisbane.

4 Likes

I think both Nine and Seven’s Gold Coast news are probably the best local news services in Australia (and given the market size, they should be). Of course there is room for improvement but they are totally on point with localism and have all the essential elements of a good bulletin in place - professional experienced new readers, comprehensive coverage of the market with good reporting, multiple live crosses each night, dedicated sports and weather. I’m not sure what else viewers would be expecting. There is one major area that Seven excels in and that is weekend bulletins - Nine really need to address this - well ahead of any other considerations IMO. Seven’s live backdrop is also better than Nine’s static backdrop.

14 Likes

Just had the TV on in the background and heard the QLD Police Amber Alert emergency tone play.

Went over to the TV thinking something was going on and it was just 9 News using the tone in a promo for a “special health investigation” in tomorrow night’s bulletin.

Absolutely disgusting!

10 Likes

Surely that needs to be reported to AMCA or someone for a misuse of emergency tones.

1 Like

Just got a recording of it.
I’ve got slow internet but I’ll try and get it uploaded ASAP.

This one - appropriate use of “dodgy” ? Sure sounded like the amber alert with “amber alert” replaced with “health alert”

3 Likes

For reference, this is the official Amber Alert tone:

This is what aired on 9 News:

8 Likes