Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Ahhh! Naughty asbestos

Got no idea why they keep going backwards. Just follow what the other states do! Seven is actually looking better atm. Maybe they trying to make it look virtual! Least Seven has more colourful animated background.

5 Likes

I wish that the video wall on the LHS of the set would get more use. Adelaide uses it on occasion during the sports report, but always starts and finishes the sports report at the desk. What was the purpose of putting the video wall there if the desk and backdrop screen are really the only ones used during the news (aside from the weather screen).

3 Likes

all original TV stations have asbestos in their walls at some point - managements never removed it, they just plastered over the top.

I remember a friend working at the original STW Perth site, engineers would have to don full body and breathing equipment to run cabling in the ceiling.

3 Likes

9 News Adelaide use the video wall for 2x sport segment on Monday and Wednesday/Thursday they also use it to cross to reporters on set who have a “special” report or an update on a major story at least 2-3 times a week.

1 Like

Gotta say, as much as sets don’t matter, Nine is really blowing it in Perth.

When they first brought in the set, we all thought it was amazing and light years ahead of Seven’s with all the massive screens and great graphics on those screens. However, ever since they ditched their LIVE shot and the weather screen for the seamless weather wall, I think Nine has been going downwards to match Seven in terms of presentation. Everything about their presentation seems so dead compared to when it was first launched. Heck, even Seven’s half-skyline backdrop looks better as it has some sort of animation to it compared to the image Nine has now.

If Nine wants a new set or presentation style to please Perth, then Nine should seriously learn two things:

1. Be Dynamic like before. Look at what Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide are doing and take notes!
  2. If you are going to make half-arsed changes to your sets like now, why do you even bother having a brand new set anyway? Bring back the dodgy 2012 set back and there’s your simple presentation that you guys are trying to attempt!

That’s just my five cents worth. Of course people here are going to attack and trash me on this topic because I’m a Seven fan and people here hate Seven and absolutely love Nine (because they do do good jobs at many things, which I have to admit is true. But people can’t then say everything is bad on Seven, because everything has its good and bad, and tbf, Nine’s definitely had its own fair share of bad in them as well).

4 Likes

Queensland budget

2 Likes

Sport caps

I missed the default sports backdrop it’s the same as the previous cap I posted last night just the SPORT part has been made smaller. I think all they need to do is just change the default template on the main screen. Domain/Perth Stadium on the left with the Nine Ribbons and live shot in the middle. Weather I guess use a mix. Plasma and the videowall.

Hadn’t even seen the Headlines graphics for awhile and they don’t even do Finance graphics and Fuelwatch.

3 Likes

Is Michael at the desk for the cross to and from sport?

I have always found these irrelevant and tacky respectively on local bulletins.

Yes

1 Like

Nine’s council budget graphics

1 Like
2 Likes

Good catch by 9 but could this case get anymore strange. I wish one of them would just hand themselves in, seems like this case is building momentum again…

Nine News Queensland current tag line “Getting Answers for Queenslanders”

2 Likes

Heavily promoted feature “news report” on Nine News Queensland on Friday night. What news bulletin features as one of its top promoted stories details about a supermarket sale? (Answer - Nine News Brisbane).

Even made the opening headlines

4 Likes

Appalling that this passes for news and that they promote it as if it was an important journalistic piece.

And don’t worry regional Queensland viewers, I have every confidence that these stories will be of vital importance to these areas and will feature in their new bulletins.

10 Likes

It has come to the point of Nine news readers personally endorsing Aldi during the news. Seen on Friday’s Gold Coast bulletin during a cross to the Brisbane news room: Melissa has a one-on-one with Bruce about the story about the Aldi sale on the 6pm news and he relates how he had shopped at Aldi a couple of days ago and will have to go back now to check out the sale. Only goes to decrease the credibility of news service. I’ve mentioned before that having the news talent associated with these items is bad for business in the long term

17 Likes

If you ask me, Nine News Queensland’s obsession with Aldi stories sounds like a great investigation for Media Watch!

20 Likes

Christ.

6 Likes

It’s pretty disconcerting that the city’s most popular news bulletin has a sale at a supermarket as a headline.

10 Likes