Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Isn’t the point of the watermark to ensure Seven gets credit on another network? What would they prefer, Nine not to give them free advertising?

7 Likes

Exactly. I wonder if they would kick up this much of a stink if the footage aired on Ten? Because as we know, there’s less hostilities between Seven and Ten.

Didn’t Seven recently complain about Nine using some of their footage, even though there was a “Courtesy: Channel Seven” (or something among those lines) super on screen?

I mean, if Nine blurred out the Seven News logos and inserted a “First on Nine” super on the footage that would be extremely dodgy. But aside from that, it’s a rather petty complaint IMO.

2 Likes

Yep and it’s because of these petty, childish acts that has contributed in turning Australian broadcast journalism into a complete joke.

3 Likes

Going back to 6 years ago.

12 Likes

Can’t agree more. The petty immaturity of our commercial networks is outright embarrassing.

5 Likes

It’s legal for news organisations to use news clips from other news organisations. Yes, it’s getting petty over nothing.

2 Likes

And it definitely has brought down the quality of the bulletins that are currently on air.

I admire QTQ for this amazing promo, hard to believe that this was made over 20 years ago. No over the top sensationalist trip. I also think that it was (at the time) miles ahead of many other promos going around, and even today I still think it’s relevant (well probably not so much for the commercial networks actually :joy:)

8 Likes

That promo is even more relevant now than then. “Ever increasing choice”, “affect us more than we realise”.

What a great promo.

3 Likes

Yeah true I guess

Wow that’s a very good promo for 1994 and certainly in stark contrast to the very shouty and sensationalist promos Nine News Queensland is running with at the moment!

2 Likes

The promo only worked at the time because it was built on a series of promos and the reputation of the network over a long period. Additionally the statements were somewhat true but imagine a promo now that said Nine was best in “current affairs” and ACA was highlighted :slight_smile: And of course there is no long Sunday, Nightlight, Extra, Business Sunday etc.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s true I suppose.

It probably also helped that Nine was the ratings leader in most major metropolitan markets back in 1994. Not so much these days!

…or 60 Minutes! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

I wish this were satire.

This coming from the same news outlet that regularly takes vision from 9 News, blows up the vision to hide watermarks and supers and credits it as simply ‘Today’. How many viewers would link the ‘Today’ credit to the Today show running on another network? Zero.

9 has taken some vision from 7, not blurred any logo or blown it up, run it as it was seen on 7. 7 get the free ad showing that 9 were not there. Isn’t this the kind of thing you want to happen? It shows that you’re setting the agenda, the others are playing catchup.

5 Likes

Oh agreed, and like I said - petty. It’s beyond a joke now.

1 Like

don’t take it so hard, it’s a joke.

I don’t think you get the inb4

3 Likes

What do you do when your live cross drops out? Read out what the reporter was going to say anyway

11 Likes

Queensland has not had the transparent watermark all bulletin (the blue logo does appear when the supers appear).

1 Like

That graphic is shocking, does anyone else find it a bit overwhelming for there eyes? i think the grainy layer ruins it

Qld bulletin sans watermark

Restored later

Nothing but the big stories tonight!

9 Likes