Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

My guess is that it’s a Friday/Saturday thing. Either that or Georgie Gardner prefers to do seated headline presentation (GG did present the headline recap standing up for at least her first bulletin from the set on February 3).

For what it’s worth, I’d personally prefer to see seated presentation for the headline recap all week long.

2 Likes

For what it is worth, Nine News Darwin studio:

TBH, it is much bigger than what I imagined.

16 Likes

As far as I know there has been little or no changes to the 9 news studio in Darwin. All it has changed is the opener and the graphics but I have yet to see the new 9 news Darwin opener.

1 Like

This montage from @SEQTelevision of last night’s Nine News Darwin should give you a fairly decent idea of what the On-Air Presentation is like these days:

Judging by the picture above, it looks like one of the newer style Nine News sets could easily fit in the Darwin studios but I’m not sure whether the network will do such an expensive and elaborate set for a market who’s population is (I think) around the 120k-ish mark.

11 Likes

I must admit I’m greatly impressed with the effort 9 news Darwin has put in their bulletin. The opener looked better than what I had expected. Southern cross could learn a lot from Darwin and incorporate the headline graphics in the openers of the ACT / SNSW 9 news bulletins. For a small market I thought the effort from Darwin is really impressive.

1 Like

As widely discussed in the 9News regional thread, Nine produce the regional 9News bulletins for Southern Cross Austereo, including employing the reporters (& 9News Canberra/Illawarra/etc. is presented from a studio at TCN9 Sydney); SC9 merely provide the local facilities & broadcast the appropriate version stream from Nine. Nine are entirely responsible for the poor presentation of the regional 9News bulletins shown on SC9.

2 Likes

This is what Nine News in regional areas should look like. Very very impressed with the effort put into a 150k market.

6 Likes

Agree. But in context:

• The team producing this bulletin have been doing it for over 25 years: experience = quality
  • It goes to one market, not 4 (as 9 News SNSW does) so no awkward pre-records, no awkward windows, no pre-record weather, opening titles, proper set, and banter
  • Good newsreader
  • Produced by people who live and work in the market and have pride and local knowledge

9 News SNSW bulletins shortcomings are

• lack local knowledge/perspective: it’s being produced by Sydneysiders
  • Set / backdrop
  • Lack of experience of the team
  • Awkward local windows
6 Likes

Different entities entirely.
and SCA could learn a lot from it but they don’t need to, they’re not producing any 9 News bulletins.

2 Likes

Was it really?

Former producer of Nine News Queensland’s daytime news bulletins, Kate Limon, has been news director of Nine News Darwin for quite a few months now. Some of her ambitions for the bulletin:

1 Like

Well there’s another reason the Darwin bulletin is so polished. This young news director seems really talented and seems to “get it”

Wonder if she should
Move to sydney and take on 9 News SNSW

2 Likes

I think the next goal for Nine News Darwin is to go all-HD.

Have we ever seen ratings for Darwin?

It must be the smallest market in the nation?

Or maybe that woke
Be Griffith NSW or Mildura VIC

It would be nice to see 7 News Darwin, but unfortunately I think the market up there is far too small for a second commercial news service.

Darwin would at least need to double its population for it to be viable.

1 Like

I was thinking at least triple…like, a Canberra or Gold Coast sized market.

At least Darwin has ABC News Northern Territory as well as Nine News.

They could always broadcast the SNSW bulletins from Darwin, no-one would know :slight_smile:

1 Like

There isn’t a 7 Darwin so not going to be a 7 News Darwin, nor a Ten.

That would be great! The studio in Darwin is better looking anyway.

A reminder this thread is for Nine News Content and Appearance, not general chit-chat about Darwin’s other TV stations.

6 Likes