Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

True but I do find Seven News Brisbane just as sensationalist.

Nobody cares whether David Brown or Amber Sherlock has a background in meteorology - they all get it from the same source. Itā€™s who is more ā€œlikeableā€ - the weather isnā€™t really an important factor in choosing a news bulletin - as long as you have a quick 2minute wrap up its fine.

Put Brownie on the field during a weather cyclone or disaster and Amber with her journalistic experience would probably be more in her element?

Thoughts?

1 Like

From what Iā€™ve seen, Seven News seems to be getting better ratings during the 2nd half of the bulletin than the 1st these days (it wasnā€™t so long ago when Nine took the lead during the 2nd half even when Seven did better during the 1st half) so thatā€™s why Iā€™m questioning if their weather segment might be a factor as to why the ratings gap has closed in Sydney during the 6pm hour lately.

And yes, I actually think the weather is one of the reasons why people still watch TV news. If it wasnā€™t an important factor in choosing a news bulletin, I doubt Seven wouldā€™ve been heavily promoting that David Brown is a meteorologist for about a year now.

Personally, I get the impression that all TV news services in Brisbane are generally more sensationalist (more relaxed/laid back in parts as well) than they are in Sydney or Melbourne.

Of course, Melbourne seems to prefer serious and formal methods of news presentation while Sydney TV news is somewhere between the Brisbane and Melbourne approaches to news.

1 Like

I think 7 is scrambling to make it a point of difference to their news service rather than have any benefit. Personally for the Melbourne market I enjoyed seeing Jo Silvagni presenting as she was familiar and had personality.

For Nine to widen their ratings in Sydney, they need to promote the news service more and fix up their day-time bulletins - go back to 1 hour morning news.

1 Like

Code word promo running on 9 News Gold Coast

3 Likes

Gold Coast News from tonight showing every story covered.

2 Likes

Others probably donā€™t share this opinion, but while I like Bruce Paige, I donā€™t like Wendy and Bruce together, and personally think 9 News Gold Coast would be better anchored by Wendy solo.

3 Likes

I agree.

They should shift Bruce to a new weekend edition with Wendy continuing on weeknights solo.

3 Likes

That would be perfect.

2 Likes

While Bruce Paige is a Queensland TV news icon, I agree that Nine Gold Coast News would probably be better presented solo by Wendy Kingston or Carrie-Anne Greenbank.

Also, the general On-Air Presentation of the bulletin could do with some tweaking. For a start, whatā€™s with that hideous ā€œwatermarkā€? If you ask me, that one gives some of the stuff WIN pumps out a good run for itā€™s money!

3 Likes

Either of the two would be an improvement, as long as itā€™s a solo read - with their elbows almost touching, the space looks so small for dual presenters.

1 Like

I just canā€™t believe Bruce is still around! Feels like heā€™s been around forever.

2 Likes

Move him to the weekend news for Queensland.

2 Likes

Looks awkward and cheesy when he presents from what Iā€™ve seen on youtube. Give the gig to Wendy solo and put Bruce on weekends.

1 Like

Bruce Paige used to read the ten eyewitness news in Brisbane in the late 1980s or the early 1990s then he used to read the QTV eyewitness news in Townsville in the early 1990s.

The Gold Coast audience love Bruce and ratings show that. When Bruce anchors solo he almost always wins in a big way. When Wendy anchors solo figures are a lot lot tighter.

Now that doesnā€™t take anything away from Wendy as a presenter but to remove Bruce would be a very big mistake for Nine Gold Coast News.

3 Likes

Nineā€™s Afternoon News from yesterday:

4 Likes

Am I right in understanding that 4-5pm weekdays see Adelaide, Brisbane/Gold Coast and Perth get loval
Editions of ā€œ9 Liveā€ and the rest of the country gets the national ā€œ9 Afternoon Newsā€?

Do regional markets in QLD, WA and SA get the ā€œ9 Liveā€ broadcasts or do they get the national news.

Do we know if there are plans to launch ā€œ9 Liveā€ local editions in Melbourne and Sydney?

@Read_It_First

SCA just relays Nine Brisbane 24/7, so whatever is shown in Brisbane is also shown in Regional QLD.

Watching that Afternoon News compile - the new 9 News SNSW could learn a few thingsā€¦

I like how they have multiple crosses to the weather and give varying information at different times, and it allows for some banter and miss things up.

Also like how they go straight to breaking news and not a filed storyā€¦ not just the formulaic into / story / into story.

9 News SNSW really need a weather person - not pre-recorded weather from Newcastle.

This would allow for some banter with Venessa - and some chat. And although the full local forecasts for each Canberra/ Gong / Central West and Riverina would have to be pre-recorded - they could bring the weather person in a few times in the bulletin for a quick preview. Also if there is an extreme weather story - the weather person could present that.

They just need more variation - why not get some reporters to do crosses from the newsroom to intro stories?

2 Likes