Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

The cross to Chris Uhlmann in Canberra tonight looked HD.
Did anyone else think the same?

Jo Abi doing a story about one of the families who attended on 9Honey tomorrow:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqqlgkEAh-w/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=1i4d6dukrdjl2

But to the question I’m sure you’ve been patiently waiting for me to answer…

That is a yes!

It’s also worth mentioning that Amber Sherlock has been involved with the Variety Children’s Christmas Party in Sydney in the past, but I’m not sure if she attended this year (Amber was there last year - going by Twitter). If Amber was at the ICC for the party, I’m sure there would’ve been a dash back to the studio after the event finished at 2pm so she could present Nine News Now at 3pm!

1 Like

As long as everyone was dressed as they were told, that would have been no drama! (Too old?) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

With the clothing colour choice of Santa, the Variety Heart Mascot and all the volunteers, there might’ve been huge problems if Amber was wearing red at the party.

Sorry, couldn’t resist! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Apologies for the double post, but Dalts’ report during the 6pm news was absolutely terrific:

For the lazy, some snapshotted highlights - amazingly Peter Overton didn’t lose it with that ending! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jessica Ridley & Lia Harris did an alright job at covering the event for Seven & Ten respectively, but neither seemed to interact with the kids as much (a few vox pops and that’s about it, judging by the clips I’ve seen online) as Mike Dalton did. His report was the best/most enjoyable of the three IMO.

Of course others may disagree, but this is something of a theme I’ve noticed with the fluff/puff piece reports here in Sydney recently. Ten and Seven (especially after the departure of Damien Smith in very early 2017) aren’t too bad, but seem to have a slightly too serious approach to their coverage presentation compared to the typical Mike Dalton report on Nine.

We definitely should expect serious news to be presented in a way that commands professionalism and authoritativeness but for more light-hearted news like kids Christmas parties, I want to see the reporters lighten up a bit with their reporting and perhaps even trying to out-do each other, as we’ve seen with “Damo v Dalts” & “Damo v Harves” battles during events like the Royal Easter Show in years gone by.

As per usual, I’d be interested to hear what others think! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I always thought you were mocking Mike. He is actually a good journalist and a great writer.

Also 10 years of having the weeknight Brisbane team of Andrew, Melissa, Wally and Garry next year. With the revolving doors at 7, it is something I would be promoting.

3 Likes

Perhaps gently, but how can I completely mock one of the market’s more unique reporters?

Let’s leave the serious bagging (while at the same time, remaining respectful - can’t stress that enough) to people who are inappropriately light-hearted during segments which should command professionalism and authoritativeness, such as Tim Bailey’s weather forecasts on whatever they’re branding Ten’s 5pm bulletin as these days! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’m gonna force him to come to the border north east news

Today’s special opener for the Queensland 4pm news.

Sydney @ 6pm:

8 Likes

Gold Coast opens with breaking fire news.

4 Likes

Brisbane promo

2 Likes

4 Likes

Something I should’ve mentioned last night, Nine News Sydney’s viewer competition for the final week of the 2018 ratings season - graphics unfortunately aren’t produced in HD though:

Cameron Williams did the voiceover for these spots and there’s also rare usage of his Promo Endtag at the end of this, which thankfully is in native HD:

6 Likes

“In this time of crisis it isn’t easy to get supplies, but one supermarket is readily accessible and you won’t believe what you’ll save! Bushfire BONANZA Sale!!”

3 Likes

Jesus - why does the regional NSW news use the bottom super so badly.

7 Likes

This is from ninenews.com.au
I find it strange the way they use the titles (i.e. the name of the reporter etc) I wonder if this would work with the normal news too? I find it a bit cleaner, though what they have is the generic style for all news programs world wide, it would be interesting if they made it quite unique.

6 Likes

A pity this pun wasn’t used on the night the movie Ghostbusters aired on Nine (fairly recently IIRC) - that would’ve been cross promotional gold! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

On a different note, some “Exclusive Advertising” towards the end of the bulletin with one could argue, an appropriate tagline:

Now it’s probably unrealistic to expect commercial TV to stop airing these types of “reports” (and I use the term very loosely), but surely ACMA needs to change the laws so that viewers are made clearly aware of paid news segments? I reckon there needs to be “This is a paid segment” disclaimers at the start and/or end, similar to the type seen on infomercials.

5 Likes

I think that style of super couldn’t be used consistently, too much of a risk of a white backdrop making it very difficult to read.

1 Like

Yeah, those with long memories will recall Seven News trying a style of name super which only had white text and a hint of shadowing in August 2016.

Was hard to read & didn’t last long.

2 Likes

May I ask how you know it is a paid spot?