Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

…or when Nine’s own Southern NSW/ACT regional bulletins have major technical problems which forces them to switch over to Sydney’s news, amazingly bad when both services are produced in Willoughby!

1 Like

Hitch said in the closer
thank you for bearing with us though our earlier technical difficulties you can stay up to date on our website gremlin free l promise you:joy:

9 Likes

He’s surely the sweetest and most gentle newsreader on commercial TV. He also sends a message to all his followers on Twitter and Instagram when they first follow him. Very kind man.

4 Likes

Did the regional Victoria bulletins manage to make it to air without incident?

You have to wonder why GTV wouldn’t take that bulletin instead of the Sydney one. At least viewers would be getting news from their own state from a familiar face.

1 Like

Probably wouldn’t work because the regional bulletin has personalised backdrops and I doubt that they would’ve had a Melbourne backdrop ready in time (unless they went ahead and just showed one of the existing feeds).

1 Like

Since GTV and RVIC news come out of different control rooms I’d presume so, especially since there wasn’t a mention of technical difficulties with the regional Victorian bulletins in the relevant thread.

Umm, about that…

Although since Dougal Beatty is a reporter for Nine News Melbourne, viewers of that bulletin should be infinitely more familiar with him than Peter Overton.

For the sake of a back-up, would it really matter just as long as the problems are acknowledged on-air at the first available opportunity like what happened tonight? At least one of the regional bulletins would still likely still contain Victorian-centric content at the top.

Although the sad thing is, knowing their attitude to Regional NSW I genuinely would not be overly surprised if TCN were to still flick over to the Melbourne bulletin rather than using a Nine News Southern NSW/ACT bulletin (which I personally think should be Plan B, with NBN at Plan C before going interstate) as a back-up if such an error were to happen here in Sydney again!

Why is Queensland’s 4pm bulletin doing a live cross to Jayne Azzopardi in Sydney on the Luke Foley sexual assault allegations and the NSW leadership contest?

I think that is probably why.

1 Like

Special bulletin tonight for Gold Coast celebrating Bruce Paige’s 70th birthday.

Bruce looks impressed.

11 Likes

Happy birthday “Paigey”

Opener

Later

8 Likes

Long segment looking back at Bruce’s history with Nine, a great look back at Nine News presentation - the good and the bad. Special supers for tonight.

10 Likes

Some captures from the archive footage seen tonight - hello to Rob Brough in image one and hello to small WIN watermark in number two showing vision of bulletin from Childers, Nine’s first ever to be anchored out of studio. How big was that Brisbane desk / bar!

Video uploading.

12 Likes

They ran so short of time there was no weather report.

9 Likes

TCN will never flick to a regional bulletin in the number one market. Although viewers from media spy are in love with regional content, there is no way Simon Hobbs or Darren Wick would ever allow NBN or SR to be broadcast instead of the TCN News. Reporters and Presenters on those bulletins are to green.

3 Likes

Well, obviously the Sydney news should be broadcast in the Sydney market whenever there are not major technical problems with the local bulletin.

But as a back-up when things go wrong (like what happened in Melbourne last night), to me it seems a little odd that the first back-up would still be another state’s bulletin rather than the regional service which would at least be based in our own state. And yes, I’m there are differences with the production standards between metro & regional news but for the sake of a back-up, wherever possible I’d probably still go for the one (ie, Regional QLD news in Brisbane, Southern NSW/ACT news in Sydney, Regional Victoria news in Melbourne) which has more of a chance of having somewhat relevant content.

I don’t know whether you work for the network or what, but I’m pretty sure most people here on Media Spy (including myself) just want Nine News to make better/more logical content decisions.

If you think that it’s better for a Melbourne news service to use Sydney as a technical difficulties back-up rather than Regional Victoria, that’s your opinion but I personally don’t think it’s likely to be one that would be widely shared by viewers.

I agree with this.

Also the technical difficulties at TCN and GTV usually occur early in the bulletin which is when the local news windows are played out. Airing Wollongong or Ballarat local news would be even less palatable than airing Syd/Melb news on each other’s market.

I understand your point…

Also keep in mind when their are technical issues NPC will take the GTV or QTQ feed for TCN. Because SCA is in Canberra and NBN in Newcastle their isn’t a way for NPC to even play out SR or NBN. Likewise for MR and BR. So your idea is basically technically impossible anyway. Unless NCR re-rout the studio feeds… if they did that it still would not work if MOSART is down and had to be re-mossed which usually is the cause of technical issues.

Of course, this may change when the joint Nine/Seven playout centre opens

2 Likes

I thought NBN was played out of Frenchs Forest now too?

I could be wrong… I am not 100% sure about NBN

1 Like