Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Brisbane’s version (at 4:30 )

3 Likes

Brisbane 20sec promo

1 Like

It’s just a billboard. I don’t really see a problem with it. It’s not as though it’s before a story or integrated or anything.

1 Like

Can’t blame @TV.Cynic for being cynical about this after showing us what Brisbane churns out as “news”.

7 Likes

That’s how he gets his name after all :sunglasses:

1 Like

that officeworks integration is absolutely awful… you can’t integrate the news with a brand like that… what happens if there is a major story about Officeworks? Is the sales rep going to be satisfied with the news bosses explanation of why they ran that story… it just leads to SO much conflict of interest.

Nine are desperate for money, however, according to my source.

(and before y’all jump on me, integration with the weather segment is fine.)

8 Likes

I’ve seen ABC World News in the US do similar sponsor integrations using the large videowall on their set
as this video shows and also another from CBD Evening News as this video shows.

@KICK-IT - I’d always just noticed ABC World News but yes most seem to.

3 Likes

Practically every talk show / news show is broadcast in the US just like this.

doesn’t make it right.

8 Likes

I’m also guessing that this counts as being part of the program and is not ‘non -program’ material and so not counted as part of advertising quota.

4 Likes

6pm news delayed again due to the late start to the cricket.

Still no mention of it on air in the last half hour.

EPG though is updated to show cricket on Nine (Sydney) to 7pm.

1 Like

There was a mention at 6pm AEDT

I must have missed that then.

Someone didn’t tell the radio simulcasts - Light FM waited at 6pm in Melbourne but went off to music until after 7pm. While on River 94.9 in Brisbane, they played the opener for a couple of minutes before running a couple of ads and then crashing into the news opener.

2 Likes

Do the delayed cricket bulletins still run for an hour even?

The EPG in Sydney is showing a 30 min bulletin, but the “Coming Up”’ just shown with several news items still to come plus the fact that the sport and weather segments haven’t been shown in full yet suggests otherwise.

Beautiful tribute.

2 Likes

Weather Nine runs Officeworks’ billboard on their video wall as they play INTO break verses full screen as as they fade up from break - I don’t think influences editorial control. It’s just paid advertising. If Nine was going to ket advertisers influence news stories - it would have happened well before now. Putting a sponsors logo on a video wall does not demonstrate editorial control - it’s just a presentation method.

News ratings are half what they were 10 years ago - less people watching TV - networks must come up with inventive ways to gain revenue. And “integrated” advertising is what advertisers want.

If you are worried about content of 9 News being bad - News directors choices and viewer habits and going to influence that far far far far far more than Officewoks putting their logo on a video wall.

4 Likes

Yep, I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Nine News Queensland and Seven News Sydney often have the most tabloid/sensationalist content when you take into consideration the histories of their current news directors!

1 Like

Updates:

Mega Montage:

8 Likes