Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

They would also need to be able to get behind the set to work on the screen when required.

2 Likes

I guess both of those points are correct.

A good contribution to a possible “No News Adelaide Edition” video, is it not? :wink: [offtopic]Though it seems the original (international) “No News” video was pulled off YouTube :frowning: [/offtopic]

From watching the Facebook live video tour yesterday, the set does wrap around pretty close to the windows!

Also, who noticed part of the old set tucked away behind the new one?

8 Likes

Here are a few caps from the tail end of 9 Live (Afternoon News). By the time I tuned in sport was just wrapping up.

7 Likes

It seems the local Afternoon News is making no inroads on Seven’s Afternoon News, with Seven winning in every city yesterday.

Ratings: Have You Been Paying Attention? returns to biggest launch episode ever:

1 Like

The only vaguely promising results for Nine are the Sydney numbers.

Nine Live Adelaide & Perth with less than 20k…yikes! :confused:

4 Likes

Musical chairs in Canberra:

Specal tonight with Ross Greenwood & Laurie Oaks

5 Likes

You really have to feel for Nine in Adelaide. The 4pm Nine bulletin is miles above in content compared to Seven’s national offering, even the 6pm bulletin feels far more substantial than Seven’s 15 minutes of news, yet nothing they do can bridge the gap. Nobody knows Adelaide like Seven.

6 Likes

It’s just viewing habits going back from the days when both Nine News Adelaide and Perth was second rate under WIN ownership and budget issues even before WIN arrived. Will take awhile to change.

8 Likes

Well we can always said that it was WIN’s fault for Nine not winning in both markets. However, if Nine was to have taken control of NWS-9 and STW-9 without WIN’s interference, would we see a different leader of TV news in Adelaide and Perth?

In Perth they would have a few of the Seven News reporters still there.

1 Like

Regardless if WIN owned STW they probably wouldn’t have won against Seven. Rick and Sue appeal to a broad variety of people and they have been presenting for a long time. Sevens domination also comes from the amount of time they dedicate to the community with events such as Telethon. I might also add in that Seven commitment to sport also plays a role in the community since 7 has AFL rights and everyone in WA watches Eagles and Docksrs (this could also be applied to 9 Sydneys ratings with NRL) At 9Perth they have changed so many news presenters and haven’t really been around that much with the community (compared to 7)

1 Like

And TVW-7 was the first commercial TV station on air in Perth.

It wasn’t only under WIN’s ownership that Nine performed poorly in Adelaide and Perth, they rated lower than Seven (especially in news) with their previous owners as well. WIN was only in the picture from 2007.

1 Like

I think if NEC (PBL in '07) had got their hands, at least on NWS before WIN, things might have been different, I would daresay Rob Kelvin would have been in the main chair for a lot longer (maybe retired last year) and I think could have closed the gap with Seven (and done successfully solo) if management kept pumping in extra resources and money. And also I think Georgina McGuinness would still be around too. I’m pretty sure she was still winning weekends (or at least Sundays), after WIN took over control of the station.

1 Like

She was a clear winner against John Riddell when he was on weekends, but when Graeme Goodings returned things changed.

1 Like

Yes but the ratings difference between STW and TVW was not as great under Sunraysia.

And then of course content became sloppy and WIN couldn’t keep up with modern technology

1 Like

Some snapshots of the graphics used during Nine’s Federal Budget Updates this evening:

Yep, reports from the Canberra/Parliament House bureau are still entirely in SD. Hopefully once all the local stations are HD-ready, Nine plans on an upgrade to the equipment in the Canberra/Parliament House bureau so we can eventually see Federal Politics reports in native HD.

5 Likes