Nine News Content and Appearance

I’ve always wondered why QTQ uses the name of the state, rather than its state capital, in the titlecard of its 6:00pm news bulletin (same goes for 10 News First, which also uses state rather than state capital). What makes Queensland stand out from the rest of the country?

1 Like

Probably so they don’t annoy the people on the Gold Coast since that is part of the market.

The name of all the main bulletins in the state is “Queensland” instead of Brisbane in contrast to other markets.

However, the name of the bulletin is Nine News Queensland.

2 Likes

Unlike in other states the public are very sensitive in Queensland about where the news is based and why they refer to the state as a whole rather than Brisbane etc. People in Queensland that live outside Brisbane in general want to be referenced as well. People who live in regional areas in Queensland are far more sensitive to it then other states.

1 Like

Source?

I used to live in Queensland and have family there.

2 Likes

I know, but they haven’t been No1 in Qld for a long long time.

1 Like

People in regional areas not liking city-centric news is absolutely not something that only happens in Queensland, the bulletin naming really just seems to be because of Gold Coast as mentioned above

3 Likes

It would have something to do with it but not the sole reason I personally think that the naming used in promotions should be Nine News Victoria, Nine News NSW etc. When refering to a particular item such as Sydney’s best Fish and Chips should be NSW best fish and chips etc. Or a separate promo created just for the regions like WIN used to do. There fore coving both issues.

For full accuracy, QTQ’s bulletin should be named Nine News South East Queensland Conurbation

2 Likes

QTQ’s bulletin is state wide even though sometimes the stories might be focused on South East Queensland. Therefore naming the bulletin Nine News Queensland makes sense.

I think it’s good that the state-wide 6pm service is named after the state and that it would suit some of the other markets as well - Nine News Victoria for example.

3 Likes

Better still… how about an opener with:

“From Caloundra to Coolangatta, and west to Crowley Vale… this is South East QLD’s Nine News with {insert presenter’s names}”

3 Likes

10 have tried it in a closer. Go to 1:08

Unrelated to the topic but there’s so many “Queensland” references in that bulletin to make your head spin and it didn’t air in the Townsville and Cairns sub markets at the time (they had their own bulletin).

3 Likes

Promos for the next night now has a “watch live or on demand” and Nine Now logo on bottom right of promo for Sydney news.

1 Like

Like Seven News has had for a few years now?

1 Like

Sydney

4 Likes

Plus Melbourne:

3 Likes

Oh no! Melbourne is now doing the big loud text that QLD does!

4 Likes

I actually noticed this on one of the Peter Overton promos for NBN News the other day, despite the fact that NBN News isn’t on 9Now (at least at the moment).

3 Likes

Meanwhile in Brisbane Queensland

2 Likes