Nine (NBN)

They would be shot if they were to move to Sydney.

3 Likes

Now that playout is in Sydney. I would like to see the NBN channels appear on the Nine app (nine now). It can use the GPS to play the correct market.

3 Likes

That won’t happen, sadly. If Seven don’t do it for Seven Queensland, they sure as well won’t do it for NBN. Do they do it for NTD?

They could at least put the news bulletins online in 9Now as a minimum.

Seven Queensland can be streamed via 7plus, the only regional stations in Australia to do so, due to it being O&O by the Seven Network.

No.

3 Likes

Well, I don’t use 7plus so much, so I didn’t know.

As for NTD not being on 9Now, that sort of answers my point - if NTD is not there, NBN won’t be.

They should be, but they won’t. Ideally, ALL of the Nine O&Os and affilates, at the very least TNQ, CTC, GLV/BCV along with NTD and NBN should be on the app with GPS-related geoblocking, but I wouldn’t be holding my breath. The bulletins SHOULD be on 9Now, no excuses.

3 Likes

I have a sneaking suspicion that SCA is going to buy NBN in the coming years. With SCA now handling NBN’s sales, and NBN coming down off the Hill in the next few years, what’s not to say that they can combine NBN and CTC into one NSW/ACT operation, have news come from Sydney and completely gut everything else? Nine have the money from the real estate sale, sadly there’s not much value left.

Ideally, and I’ve said it before, I wish SCA (Australia’s answer to Sinclair Broadcast Group, in terms of reach and sniffing pollies a##eholes) were told to f##k off and split up, but sadly that won’t be happening.

3 Likes

Selling it to SCA would mean a big blow, IMO, because you would let Vanessa record more than 10 local windows apart from Canberra.

1 Like

I don’t think there would be enough time to do that.

Under an SCA ownership scenario, I reckon there would be Northern and Southern NSW versions of Nine News regiional.

Nine would probably insist that the Northern version be produced out of Sydney since they wouldn’t have a Newcastle presence anymore.

3 Likes

I highly doubt that this will happen. NNSW is the largest regional market, it’s even larger than Perth and Adelaide so it’s good for Nine. Secondly, WIN managed NBN’s sales for years, no different to what SCA are doing now. Thirdly, SCA have just gotten rid of a station in NNSW and all of the costs that come with it, they’re hardly going to try purchasing another one that will more than likely cost more than the sale price of NRN.

2 Likes

WIN only ever managed national sales for NBN. SCA took this over when the affiliation for the rest of the country swapped in 2016.
SCA have now recently taken over local sales for NBN, a function WIN never performed for NBN, and adding back in some of the costs they lost.

I agree this makes it seem unlikely, however the sale of NRN allowed them the remove most of their support for Ten affiliation (they need to do far less to keep the SA and Remote Tens running) and helped them clear some debt. As a public company, everything is forward looking, so it may now be worthwhile adding NNSW back into the portfolio, regardless of price as it may make the company more attractive to potential buyers etc.

1 Like

WIN has the Ten affiliation in Tasmania as of the July 2016 affiliation switch.

Why would Nine sell NBN, only to possibly buy it back at some point in the future?

1 Like

Whoops, you’re right.

Stupider things have happened in the past, but who says Nine’s the only potential buyer?

This convo is a bit stupid yes? What evidence is there that Nine would be willing to sell NBN?

IIRC Prime manage Seven Queensland’s sales.

2 Likes

Which could be the reason Bruce Gordon hasnt changed his WIN News theme music - in the hope SCA and Nine fall out before the next agreement in 2021

I think there would be a cold day in Hell before Nine and WIN ever team up again, I might be wrong but I doubt that I am…

2 Likes

I would have to agree… BUT then Bruce is probably arrogant enough to think he could do it. Realistically, who really wants to deal with Bruce - he is like a little kid - takes his bat and ball and goes home when he can’t get his own way. I think the media industry in Australia are sick of these moguls having these little tantrums

4 Likes

Funniest thing I’ve read so far today.

5 Likes

The sad thing is he is probably a big enough fool to believe it could happen

1 Like

Given that the likely buyer for SCA’s TV assets would be Nine, I doubt it

1 Like

Zero.