Nine/Fairfax Merger superthread

I think we’ll eventually see both the SMH and TCN newsrooms call 1 Denison Street, North Sydney their home.

Not sure about Macquarie Radio though. Despite the success of 2GB & 3AW, that end of the business seems like one which I could imagine eventually being sold off so Nine can acquire some of the more lucrative media properties (FM stations, Nine affiliates in the aggregated regional markets of QLD, SNSW/ACT & Victoria) Southern Cross Austereo has to offer.

1 Like

Building might not be big enough for Nine as well? But Nine is only a couple of blocks away from Media House anyway.

4 Likes

If newsrooms are merged maybe, they’d need space for studios which would the biggest space issues.

Fairfax have a lease until 2029, I think I read after the last lot of job cuts, hot desking and outsourcing The Age has consolidated to one floor.

A quick Google found NBNCo and Australian Maritime Safety Authority are based there so there may be room should those leases come up.

Sales staff at Nine were telling colleagues of mine before Christmas that their Docklands offices were having offices and walls torn down to open up the floors to fit Fairfax staff in in the new year. Not sure whether it was everyone or just certain departments though.

All ex-FFX sales staff in the capital cities are being moved to Nine offices. Brisbane staff moved from the CBD to Mt Coot-tha at the end of last year. Editorial remains at Ann St.

2 Likes

Just like another certain Australian media company … blast from the past …

05%20pm

6 Likes

If and when Nine sells the events business, I hope The Sun-Herald will be able to continue to sponsor City2Surf. I don’t think the paper wants to see the iconic event picked up by its arch-rival.

If they don’t want a rival to pick it up then they won’t let it go.

1 Like

Yowsers! I completely forgot Fairfax paid $3.5b for Rural Press 12 years ago, and is now selling it off for $125m.

That’s some haircut.

And that sales price includes the Newcastle Herald, Illawarra Mercury and the Fairfax free suburban newspapers than were not previously owned by Rural. Fairfax however did sell the former Rural Press radio stations.

In 1998 Rural Press bought The Canberra Times from Kerry Stokes for $160 million!

Interesting resource here:
https://www.nla.gov.au/content/press-timeline-1951-2011

1 Like

It was reported a little while ago that the AGE newspaper is moving out of Mediahouse and into GTV9s offices in Bourke Street. The move is meant to commence soon.

I wonder if will see something similar in Sydney?

It’s already been reported that the SMH and Financial Review will be moving into the former Seven offices at Pyrmont later this year before they move into the new Nine offices at North Sydney late next year.

1 Like