Nine/Fairfax Merger superthread

If Nine don’t sell off the local papers, I can see a hell of a lot of them closed or merged.

E.g. - Scone Advocate, Muswellbrook Chronicle, Singleton Argus = Upper Hunter Herald, basically just do a Newcastle Herald with Newcastle-centric stories replaced with Upper Hunter ones. I think they’re all based in either Muswellbrook or Singleton now.

3 Likes

It’s just …

At least a dozen of the 26 staff who lost their jobs on Tuesday were journalists who produced Business Insider, technology site Gizmodo, entertainment and fashion site PopSugar and gaming site Kotaku.

1 Like

Allure Media CEO Jason Scott was among the 26 who lost their jobs. Were the websites gutted of staff just to save costs not because they duplicated some of Nine’s existing websites? Maybe Fairfax should have sold off Allure Media before merging with Nine.

Many more regrets for Fairfax coming ahead. Just watch Nine decimate Fairfax now.

9 Likes

It’s hard to think what Nine property that Gizmodo/Kotaku Aus are competing with - if anything it’s an area Nine have almost nothing in.

It’s hard to see a firewall lasting long between Nine News and the Fairfax Newspapers - it’s where the vast majority of actual savings will be - and Nine didn’t buy Fairfax to keep it running as is.

5 Likes

My guess is that they’ll gut the local operations with the aim to merely license those brands, unless they merge the non-Business Insider brands into Pedestrian’s output

A story in the Fairfax papers co-authored by Nine’s Chris Uhlmann…

… perhaps what will become the new normal following Nine’s takeover of Fairfax?

Already noticing subtle differences in news reporting in the Age. A story today had a racial reference which in the past I associated with the Herald Sun and Channel 7. The “Independent Always” will soon be history! Cut back my subscription this week. I will probably cancel soon, not paying money to 9.

1 Like

Has Anyone hearing tat Nine & MacQuarie Sports Radio are doing Crosssovers in February 2019? I have a feeling tat MacQuarie Sports Radio will be Rebranded as Wide World Of Sports Radio soon after if nit uring the MSR& WWOS Crossovers

Nine owns Domain niw we can say Nine has somethung in preperty they did niw have much just about nothing in property in tye past.

jag 3146
i have read The Age from time ti time i mainly read it online i have seen on paticular isues the different way they have been reporting i will keep reading the Age onliner and frim tume ti time i print regardless.

You sure? ARN owns the edge, WSFM and KIIS in one market. Sydney?

The Edge is technically licensed to Katoomba and broadcasts from a site near Wentworth Falls (as opposed to Artarmon for WSFM/KIIS). This ‘Katoomba licence area’ does not overlap with the Sydney licence area by more than 30% so it is not treated as the same licence area for the purposes of the media diversity laws. Regardless, by virtue of fortuitous rececption it is a de facto third commercial station for ARN due to it’s very favourable transmitter location in respect to the Sydney metropolitan area.

3 Likes

Any sale of the events division could change the relationship between The Sun-Herald and City2Surf for example. It could mean another paper sponsoring City2Surf.

Nine sold its original events division including Ticketek a few years ago. I guess Nine just doesn’t want to be in that type of business.

I know this is a little soon, but is it likely we’ll see newsrooms merge together? Similar to Seven West in Perth?

I think they’ve made statements that Nine and Fairfax news rooms will be kept separate. (For now… I guess)

1 Like

I could see GTV9 moving into Media House on Spencer street. The Age and 3AW are both based there.