Nine/Fairfax Merger superthread

They could rename Macquarie Sports Radio to Wide World of Sports Radio, if they bother to keep it.

2 Likes

Today’s The Sydney Morning Herald still has Fairfax as the publisher.

1 Like

That’s still technically correct. Fairfax Media Piblications Pty Ltd is simply the subsidiary which owns the paper.

Also, interesting to note that the paper is printed by News Ltd. How long as that been the case?

1 Like

One or two years maybe. But it wasn’t that long ago when the share agreement was made.

With fewer newspapers and magazines printed these days it makes sense to save some costs that way.

1 Like

I get why Nine might want to get rid of the other regional papers, but am still not sure why The Canberra Times should be lumped in with them. Sure it isn’t quite the same as The Sydney Morning Herald or The Age, but I still would’ve thought there’d be a certain level of prestige about owning the main newspaper for our national capital.

If there’s concerns about people using The Canberra Times as a way to circumvent the SMH/Age paywalls (as mentioned in the article you’ve linked to), then wouldn’t it have made sense to implement a paywall for The Canberra Times?

4 Likes

First of many chops. :hocho: :hocho: :hocho:

Hugh Marks will sell the Canberra Times and the Regional Newspapers to Murdoch for Billions Of Australian Dollars this will pay for any buy out of the remaining shares inacquarue Media Limited owned by John Singletin and other Shareholder.

Billions? I don’t think so. In the millions, possibly.

2 Likes

I prefer Nine selling the regional papers to a group of independent investors. They can once again become the third force of Australian newspaper publishing, like APN News and Media used to be, before it was split and newspaper business sold to News Corp.

With that in mind, I wouldn’t be surprised if Bruce Gordon’s WIN Corporation buys the Illawarra Mercury to go with WIN Television & i98. At least Wollongong would still have the minimum number of media voices (4 - WIN, Prime, SCA, Grant) if that were to happen.

1 Like

Kerry Packer and Kerry Stokes both owned the Canberra Times after it was sold off post Young Warwick Fairfax. Presumably Kerry Stokes wouldn’t want it back.

My guess is some of the Fairfax family buying a handful of papers back - being Canberra, Newcastle and Wollongong.

2 Likes
1 Like

Why?

And ya’ll thought it’d be a good thing.

1 Like

Would be an interesting development. I’m hearing plans are underway for 9 News Illawarra to move in with the Mercury.

1 Like

If these plans go ahead, do you think we’d regularly see crosses to the local newspapers or a “What’s coming up in tomorrow’s paper” type segment during Nine News’ regional bulletins?

Mind you I don’t know how things would work if the regional papers got sold off, unless there were co-operation/promotional deals made between the TV and print organisations.

who did?

Nine fanboys, obviously.

1 Like