Nine Entertainment Co

Good signs indeed.

The Ashes simply must be broadcast in HD and it appears Nine are ensuring it happens.

3 Likes

Of course, you’d have to imagine the fact that in a couple of weeks time there’ll be three FTA HD channels from SBS is also putting the pressure on Nine (and hopefully also Seven, Ten & the ABC within time) to finally pull out their fingers and have at least two HD channels!

1 Like

Finally 9 has a 2nd HD Channel, Long Time Coming.

1 Like

Ironically Nine Darwin is starting to feel a lot like a regional affiliate… 9Gem HD may be another hint of a possible purchase (along with Nine News Darwin aligning with the SCA Regional QLD bulletins).

Same goes for Adelaide

Unless SCA sell their Seven affiliate in the market, they’re not going to get Nine Darwin.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Darwin apparently now has both Nine and 9Gem in HD.

1 Like

I’ll recommend retuning your televisions and you should see it. Nine upgraded it to HD for the ashes.

Channel 9 is still fully committed to Darwin and won’t be sold anytime soon. Nine also owns 50% of 10 Darwin so if SCA took over, they would own all 3 commercial networks in Darwin as the other 50% of 10 Darwin is SCA, which is a breach of the media laws?

NTD still employs over 30 people in the station across several departments.

1 Like

Upon seeing your post, I did rescan my set top box (yes I’ve still got one for its PVR recording functions I don’t have on my current TV) and saw no changes to the channel lineup in Sydney.

2 Likes

I only noticed the new channel changes today.

Nine is working on it for a full launch soon, not sure if SCA will adapt it.

3 Likes

Great move towards a full suite of HD channels.
Let’s hope Seven and 10 follow along too soon.

Great use of available space!

** looks at Ten **

9 Likes

No doubt the upgrade is probably related to Nine moving to Mitchell St in Darwin. They were probably given the opportunity to do upgrades in the new building as they still employ engineers and techs for that department in Darwin.

2 Likes

Now that I’ve thought about things a bit more, is it possible that Darwin is being used by Nine as a test market for these changes before they’re eventually rolled out everywhere?

When 9Gem HD eventually comes on air in the metropolitan markets you’d think the network would put out some promos, perhaps with presenters from Nine’s Wide World of Sports emphasising the “more sport in HD” angle for The Ashes and NRL coverage in some markets.

Especially with the lack of any half decent first run & premium content on 10 Bold/Peach these days, it’s almost getting to the point where having a merged multichannel + a HD simulcast of that would probably be more attractive than the current situation.

1 Like

@TV-QLD does it have an HD watermark add-on?

1 Like

No, not yet. I’m assuming they will adapt something similar to @SydneyCityTV’s mock

5 Likes

Who did Nine need to get permission from?

Fitting it in alongside the two datacast channels might be a problem?

1 Like

On the topic of HD in Darwin, SCA still hasn’t put a 7HD logo on their Darwin channel.

2 Likes

I don’t think any regional Seven stations, even Seven-owned, get a HD watermark.

3 Likes

I meant “Promotion”.

Talking about NTD, their new building has been fenced off since Late 2018 for renovations. They are expected to move in around August fully.

Here is Nov 2018 on Maps:

3 Likes