Nine Cricket Coverage

I at no stage suggested anything was fact. I merely suggested that I would be staggered if 9 had streaming rights given they hadn’t in the past.
Good on them for getting streaming rights for this, should be more of it.

Suspended cricketer David Warner will be a part of Channel Nine’s coverage of the limited overs tour in England which starts on Wednesday. I’m guessing he’ll be in the Sydney studios with the likes of Taylor, Healy and Slater for pre/post match coverage.

1 Like

Cue the massive backlash on Twitter. Hopefully Warner doesn’t read this.

Deservedly so. This is fresh, would Robert Smerdon be welcome on Seven’s racing coverage come spring? Of course not, Warner is clearly not a clever man, Nine should know better.

9 Likes

At least it’s got people talking about what is a pointless ODI series overshadowed by the World Cup. Probably the goal all along with getting Warner involved.

I don’t like this at all!

1 Like

Now you see this “backlash” makes sense. He was rightly banned and it is very poor judgement to appoint him to participate in the broadcast coverage during his suspension.

Only thing that makes sense is it is a publicity stunt.

1 Like

Nine’s cricket coverage goes from bad to despicable.

They might as well have Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft on the coverage as well if they want to drive it right down the ground.

Twitter is always outraged. It’s so tiring and predictable.
Warner can still play domestic cricket in Australia and overseas, but shouldn’t be allowed to commentate?

Shane Warne once failed a drug test and was suspended for a year but just recently he was the most in demand commentator once 9 lost the rights

1 Like

I think it’s too soon for him to be on the commentary team but I’d be ok if he was on in a type of interview type thing about it all. When you look at what they’ve done and how they’re being treated compared to others who have done similar things I think things have been quite harsh and they do need a chance to get redemption. I want them punished for what they did (and they have been) but they also need to be able to have a chance to make it up and to work towards being able to play again. They didn’t kill anybody, they just made some poor choices.

1 Like

Shane Warne actually spent some time in the Wide World of Sports box whilst he was banned for that drug infringement (which saw him sent home from the World Cup campaign). So it’s hardly the first time Nine have hired like this.

2 Likes

Valid. Very valid.

On the flipside, Warne has shown he’s capable in the commentary box (usually when he’s not working or Nine, alas). I’m not sure what type of insights Warner will be able to deliver.

Though on the flipside, what Warne did was simply very naive and silly.

What Warner did though was to deliberately cheat, and has been compounded by his constant sledging of opposition players putting himself and the team in an ugly position.

I think is too soon for Warner to be making any high profile appearances in the media. Time hasn’t yet healed the wounds.

2 Likes

I think this is being over-hyped. Nine have lost the cricket rights, so not like he’s been signed for years as a summer regular. This is just a one-off/guest commentary role from what I can tell

1 Like

When working for different masters. Same could be said for all the Channel 9 commentators when they were commentating on the last World Cup

Getting Warner has worked perfectly for Nine. They’ve got a heap of publicity out of this.

2 Likes

Michael Slater hosting the coverage for game 1 at the TCN studio, with Ian Healy and Lisa Sthalekar as experts.
Nine has retained the graphics from the one-day series last summer.

3 Likes

Could be one of Slater’s last ever appearances on Nine. Pretty sure he’s been rumoured to join Seven.

3 Likes