Newshub

Happy they are keeping to two hosts for the week nights

Does the weekend sports block still have two presenters? Always found that a bit strange. Still, seems to make sense to go to one newsreader. Must be the first time a TV3 6pm has been presented solo since the days of Hilary Barry at weekends?

2 Likes

SSS has been single-hosted for so long, I’d actually forgotten they used to have two!

3 Likes

Ha! Shows how long it’s been since I last watched Newshub.

1 Like

@NuStraya I have some facts.

Right now the Super Sports Sunday is read by a single sports anchor instead of two. It used to have two anchors when that segment reintroduced in 2015.

From memory Super Sports Sunday was introduced in 1999 as part of Sunday’s edition of 3 News at 6pm. The Saturday edition ran for half an hour until 2001 when it was extended to a full hour and a ‘supersized’ sports segment, similar to Super Sports Sunday, was added to that edition. In 2007, the weekend bulletins were moved to a double head newsreader format to align with the weeknight bulletins and the ‘supersized’ sports segments were dropped to make way for additional coverage of national and international news, i.e. more news, less sport.

Not to mention Neil Waka before he left TV3 (now Three) by mid-1998! From memory, during the 3 National News era, the weekend anchor did all the news, sport and weather. When 3 News came along in February 1998, separate anchors for sport and weather were added to the weekend bulletin.

As I said earlier, before the introduction of Super Sport Sunday, the weekend news ran for 30 minutes (compared to a full hour on weeknights) in those days. During the Christmas and New Year holiday period, the 6pm news was reduced to a half hour bulletin for the summer.

2 Likes

This is a short montage of the last 4:30pm bulletin. It was hosted by Amanda Gillies. Launched back in March 2017 at 4pm then moving to 4:30pm in 2019.

7 Likes

So, I will have to watch something else at 4.30 instead

1 Like

Wait has the bulletin been cancelled?

1 Like

I know Amanda used to be the newsreader on The AM Show, but just can’t shake thinking that she had such a voice for radio, it’s almost strange seeing her present a straight up news bulletin.

4 Likes

Yes Amanda said it her self

“…it is the last show of the year and the last show ever for the 4:30 bulletin.”

2 Likes

EPG guide across Sky/Freeview saying that tonight’s 6pm bulletin (November 12) will be trimmed to just 55 minutes. Reason why: the Black Ferns in the final, of course.

3 Likes

Rebecca Wright hosting in studio Live at 6pm tonight

Mike McRoberts & Samantha Hayes live from Eden Park

8 Likes

I’m not sure I like them in “all black” hah - it’s makes it look very sombre I would’ve loved it if Mike had a Black Ferns jersey on underneath that jacket and if Sam was wearing rugby shorts.

3 Likes

They would have a strict uniform code I’d assume.

I was being sarcastic!

Mel from AM announced she is expecting a second child in autumn 2023!

2 Likes

(19/11/2022) Oriini Kaipara is presenting the 6pm bulletin tonight.

6 Likes

Ingrid Hipkiss is Presenting Newshub Live at 6PM Bulletin Tonight.

2 Likes

WBD NZ has announced that it’ll provide live closed captioning on the 6pm news bulletin, including other shows like The Project and Newshub Nation.

3 Likes

Doesn’t NZ already have live closed captions?