Newshub (closing in June)

Is MediaWorks ever not restructuring? Feel for the staff there today, seems all of their plans for the Newshub brand have dissipated

5 Likes

Any organisation going through restructuring doesn’t go well in the long run.

Completely misleading rubbish.

While restructuring is a horrible thing for people to go through, many organisations have survived and been future proofed because of it.

My thoughts are with those at Newshub today.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/susienewsy/status/1128474769383288832

5 Likes

Interesting to think about. I wonder of Sam and Mike who the bosses would want to front the bulletin solo if they did go down that route.
I’d keep Sam. Offer Mike the head of broadcast news role (I think I read Richard Sutherland has just exited for Radio NZ).

I have been working on an idea of a refresh that Newshub could do with their On Air graphics. I did a new post to show my ideas.

1 Like

I doubt anything’s getting the axe. More likely a change of style, pace and how they integrate Newshub over the three mediums it’s currently available on. Hal’s right, there is a lot they could improve on. Just as well they’ve in a strong enough position to do something about it.
This is about efficiency, not cost cutting. Typical Auckland Herald bashing.

4 Likes

I’d like to see this.

You occasionally see it in sports news when they interview injured All Blacks on the evening of rugby tests at the venue etc, or when there’s a major news event (Chch Terror Attack rolling Coverage). The TV news is sometimes still in the mindset of ‘it’s not news until it’s been on TV’ and a record of the last 24 hours. I think that’s outdated - everyone generally knows the news by 6pm.

There’s an opportunity for Newshub here

1 Like

Except there’s a bunch of old school viewers like me who aren’t online 24/7 and so the 6pm bulletin is the first reasonable chance to hear about it. If they present stories assuming everyone already knows the gist, then they’ll leave disconnected people like me behind, and therefore, I’ll watch the bulletin that does give that sort of context.

But yes, there is an opportunity to do something, even perhaps broadcasting two bulletins simultaneously, or a 5pm “slow” bulletin that I can watch on plus 1 or (they delay on Three-Liff), or on-demand where you can skip stories? That would be awesome… bye bye Donald Trump filler!

1 Like

Same is true on this side of the ditch.

So boring watching the evening bulletins these days.

Pip is right on the money… I’ve asked a couple of times on this forum why don’t they do something different to the typical 6pm bulletin…

A shame Dallow wasn’t allowed to do this as he would have been excellent at it.
Do Sam & Mike have the skills for interviewing politicians & going off script at times? Not so sure. Paddy Gower could, if he reigned in his ego, lol.

Yes, sorry. Was a tad flippant in my last post.

No worries.

It does raise the point though, what should the 6pm news be? There has always been an audience for a stand alone evening news service (remember, the 6pm news killed all evening newspapers). Is it time to reinvent it, does it need to be something else?

So I don’t think there will be too much changing on the TV side, but the website definitely needs work. I guess they need two or three gears to mount to the hub, a higher gear for App-driven news, a medium gear for radio and web, and a low gear for TV?

(18-19/5/2019) Michael Morrah is presenting Newshub Live at 6pm with Melissa Chan-Green this weekend.

2 Likes

Just searching for Newshub on Google and look what I find,
Newshub’s new Sri Lanka arm. :rofl: /s

Interesting slogan “Peopleizing the news”

5 Likes

(25/5/2019) Mitch McCann and Mike Puru are presenting sport and weather respectively on Newshub Live at 6pm tonight.

1 Like

Just caught a small new promo on Three tonight ‘Becuase it matters.’

4 Likes

Yeah, according to her LinkedIn Nadine is Head of Brand & Comms at enableMe.

And just read that Melissa Chan-Green (Davies) is also pregnant!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxzIPLvF8JH/

If they needed someone I would like to see Carly Flynn fill in.
Or Janika ter Ellen… no, wait… she’ll be off on maternity leave soon too. :laughing:

4 Likes

There’s something in the water at Newsbub as there are at least 3 or 4 other staff that are also pregnant.

2 Likes

Or maybe Mike has been busy :eyes: