News Media and Digital Platforms Code (Draft News Media Bargaining Code)

One that always amazed me was given the exorbitant fees 7 & 9 paid the sporting codes for TV rights, its hard to fathom how it didn’t also always include Internet streaming rights?

The codes can obviously do streaming direct themselves if they want by hiring a contractor like NEP and using a streaming service like what Akamai and Cloudflare offer.

You would expect 7 & 9 to be better negotiators than they appear to have been on sporting rights.

1 Like

Exactly, they were hoping for legislative assistance, it never materialised and nor should it.

Nothing stopping FTA from bidding for streaming rights, only their penny wise and pound foolish outlook.

1 Like
1 Like

Payment should be a non negotiable, you use IP of another entity, you pay commensurately.

Meta if all they are doing is allow people to share news articles with others on the platform why should they have to pay for that? It is no different to me sharing an article from news.com.au about Sunrise should Media Spy out of their advertising revenue pay News Limited for sharing that article? I don’t think so.

1 Like

A Meta spokesperson has since told Mumbrella: “At the moment all options are on the table,” adding that they never said they were ‘axing’ news but are “exploring all options” regarding serving news on their platform.

“We hope the government sees the many benefits our free services provide to publishers, including small and independent publishers, and we’ll continue to engage with the government on this topic.”

1 Like