Newcastle - Survey 3, 2018

Sorry for the late response, was flying most of yesterday,

I’m not rolling excuses, I’m stating fact.

SCA is spending money in Newcastle to hold their own but they are focusing the big spends on markets where there is competition - such as the Gold Coast.

Look at KO in the past 2 months survey wise - the $5000 Secret Sound (which was a breakfast-only promotion) and the rest has just been concert giveaways etc. Their main spend was mid year with the Tax Return which was around the $15k spend.

If NEW was within cooee of them I guarantee you that more money would be thrown at Newcastle, but because they aren’t SCA is choosing to fight battles elsewhere with money. I guarantee that if we see a format change for NEW - be it a classic gold or rock format - and things shift, then the money tree will grow for promotions.

Expect more money to be thrown into Gosford in the new year with what looks to be another freaking breakfast show to promote, when the answer is staring them directly in their face - Paddy Gerrard. You don’t need hundreds of thousands of dollars to promote someone that has been in the market for 20 or so years.

2 Likes

Well, let Mickey know next time you see him.

It’s a shame really that 2HD / NEW don’t seem to really want to take the fight up to SCA.

Newcastle deserves to have a much more competitive radio market.

It’s the listeners that lose out ultimately.

1 Like

They don’t need more money thrown at them, they just need better formats and music.

4 Likes

Exactly, get the basics right, the fundamentals of a station right and the rest isn’t that expensive.

4 Likes

But they do need better promotions as well.

Listeners aren’t necessarily going to know about the better formats and music unless you advertise and promote it - give them a reason to switch and sample it e.g. some giveaways.

@crankymedia and @Brianc68 …Exactly. This is the biggest let down with the SCA stations. If they had different formats to suit that listening area they would be on a winner. I had a listen to Triple M when I was in Albury during the week and I can see why people are complaining and dropping off like flies…The music format is bloody awful.

As for NEW…Its just a total mess. They need to start from scratch and need all the money throw at them. I guess with Billy, that will never happen.

4 Likes