New Zealand Radio

No I think that’s definitely fair to describe both of them like that.

1 Like

Probably put Peter Williams in the same boat…

2 Likes

No I think that’s definitely fair to describe both of them like that.

Harsh/fair might be better :slight_smile:
Although I don’t think Liz Gunn actually does a radio show anywhere - I know Brennan does his VFF thing, but I highly doubt that’s going to be a forever thing too.
Edit: yes and Peter Williams too. All three (arguably mostly Williams) used to be quite respected and admired, now they all seem to be pandering to a very small, very specific subset of the population to be “popular”. At least until the next conspiracy theorist comes along.

Looking at the NZ Radio FB page again, ironically Brennan was saying that (in light of Newshub etc closing/cutting back) that “the music stations will be dead within 2 years”…only to have his own thing close down about a month later :smiley:
Yeah, I don’t think he called that one very well…

4 Likes

Awesome!

But I give it six months, at best. It is after all a Mediaworks product… and podcasting isn’t their strongest point.

3 Likes

Agreed, this their last push with Garner before they drop him altogether. Would assume this won’t get too much promotion on the stations when he is trying to nab their other audiences.

1 Like

Seems they’ve put a bit of effort into that promo.

Good on them for trying. Who knows if they do a Sean Plunket and count every youtube click as their audience, maybe it’ll outrate Today FM lol

2 Likes

Sean was claiming he outrated ZB in the afternoons when he was at Magic Talk didn’t he?

2 Likes

Yes (I think). He was hosting the afternoon slot (noon to 3pm) on Magic Talk and had worked on Newstalk ZB as host of its Wellington-based mid morning slot (8.30am to noon) in the early 2010s before switching over to RadioLIVE in 2013.

Haha that’s right!
As it turned out with the stations separated the lion’s share was Magic music

2 Likes

Yes (I think). He was hosting the afternoon slot (noon to 3pm) on Magic Talk and had worked on Newstalk ZB as host of its Wellington-based mid morning slot (8.30am to noon) in the early 2010s before switching over to RadioLIVE in 2013.

I never understood why he did that. That would have been a pretty plum role on ZB, and he gave it up - for what? A station that just a few years later totally ceased to exist! Hell if he had stayed at ZB there was a chance he could still be there now.

As to him skewing the numbers, well, this is Sean Plunket, a little bit of misrepresentation never goes astray with him, IMO.

1 Like

I think someone forgot to turn the jukebox identifiers on for magic tonight as they are not playing.

Duncan Garner’s first ‘live’ podcast has failed to launch today as planned.

He’s cited technical difficulties - maybe next week.

WBD should do a deal to stream it when AM closes though (it’s going to be one hour from 7:30 apparently).

4 Likes

Yeah was looking forward to it. Just listened to his latest podcast clip and apparently it’ll be 1 hour long from 7:30am-8:30am, and a chance to call up the studio during the podcast live.

So…a radio show? :joy:

Poor guy yiu wouldnt read about it bad luck but hope they iron out any bugs before next week

1 Like

That’s a great idea to have it air LIVE on Three and ThreeNow, although Stuff may want to launch Morning Stuff as a breakfast show, if the 6pm news product turns a profit.

2 Likes

I can’t see either of those things happening but we’ll see :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Paddy gower is doing a 1 off radio show on rnz on kings birthday public holiday could be the start of a new career move maybe??

3 Likes

New survey released today