New Zealand Radio

2 Likes

‘Are they looking at Video-Ezy too?’ quips one doubtful shareholder.

That’s quite funny coming from a Sky TV shareholder!

Seriously though it’s not a great fit is it… hard to see a lot of synergies. Feels like a backwards step for both sides. Sky has been cost saving massively and looking in a lot better shape. And MW has not long got out of the tv biz!

4 Likes

Interesting to see this but The Edge is running an huge competition $50K Flatmate with Dosh and they have those live cameras running around the house.

4 Likes

Big Brother The Edge edition

2 Likes

Whoops! Nothing like a flooded studio - https://www.tiktok.com/@nzstuff/video/7108474370510589185

2 Likes

My understanding is Sky has withdrawn from the Mediaworks deal.

1 Like

Good. It was a silly match to begin with

1 Like

Wonder if Stuff might be interested? That’s if they could afford to buy out Mediaworks. Could create a compelling rival to NZME.

4 Likes

Yes that would be interesting.

1 Like

Just noticed The Breeze has refreshed jingles and top of hour news/traffic/weather theme. Sounded quite good.

@medianz And I just noticed John Sweetman had recently taken over as the ‘corporate voice’ of 1XX’s Top 20 Country countdown show which broadcasts to Whakatane and the Eastern Bay of Plenty on Radio 1XX each weekday (from approx 10.30am), although Colin Magee usually hosts the daytime slot (10am-2pm). Most of 1XX’s corporate imaging, by Hamish Denton (the voice of TVNZ), remains unchanged. I don’t understand.

Another blow for SENZ.

The country’s leading radio sports broadcaster, New Zealand Media and Entertainment (NZME) has today announced it has the exclusive radio broadcast rights for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games and the Paris 2024 Olympic Games.
The agreement, with Sky Sport, will see both major events broadcast on Newstalk ZB and GOLD Sport (previously GOLD AM), as well as via iHeartRadio – NZME’s digital radio platform.

https://www.nzme.co.nz/news/nzme-secures-commonwealth-games-olympics-commentary-rights/

4 Likes

The news comes at a time when NZME is refreshing its GOLD AM brand, which will change to GOLD SPORT from Monday 27 June. The name change will better reflect what is currently broadcast on the station which includes live sport commentary, The Country with Jamie Mackay and The Country Sport Breakfast with Brian Kelly.

https://www.nzme.co.nz/news/nzme-secures-commonwealth-games-olympics-commentary-rights/

@OnAir NZME today announced that, from Monday 27 June onwards, Gold AM is getting a refresh by changing its name to “Gold Sport” with an ‘all sports radio’ format. With live sport commentary, The Country with Jamie Mackay and The Country Sport Breakfast with Brian Kelly remaining unchanged, will there be additional sports shows on Gold Sport?

2 Likes

Not yet Paddy - but you never know.

They will have commentary of the Commonwealth Games and next Olympics though.

2 Likes

@OnAir Thanks for the update.

Seems Nickson Clark 's Friday night show on Today FM is no more… can’t say I’m too surprised. great broadcaster but that show was pretty bad.

Friday Night Live … another music show then?

@nztv Yes. Friday Night Live follows the same format as Saturday Night Live. On weekend evenings, Today FM combines its usual talk radio format with party music as chosen by its listeners.

Has there been a press release Paddy that I"ve missed?

@nztv Due to unforeseen circumstances, there was no press release from MediaWorks.

Yeah, he is great and it seemed like a good fit - but maybe just not his thing. Talk radio is hard, really hard and especially trying to solicit for calls on a new station and not have people to bounce off can be hard.