Network Ten Ratings Report 2018

The official OzTAM 40-week ratings period finished yesterday and the rebranded and refocused Network 10 has released a summary of its 2018 performance.

10 media release is headed " A year in the making: 10’s new under 50s era". In contrast to other networks it includes weeks 1-6 so audience shares are based on weeks 1-48. It, however, excludes “Olympic and Commonwealth Games weeks 7-8 and 14-15”

According to 10, it is the under 50s network with growth in shows and audience share. 10 was “noisy across all broadcast, online and social media platforms and it wasn’t afraid to try new things”.

Highlights include

• 10 is the under 50s network dominating entertainment programming in its target demographics (under 50s, 16 to 39s and 18 to 49s).
  • The biggest growth in target demographics across the primary channels.
  • Five of the seven marquee shows with year-on-year audience growth.
  • Four of 10’s shows had their biggest total audiences ever.

Network 10’s chief executive officer Paul Anderson said: “We head into 2019 with fantastic momentum. We are the under 50s network and our audiences are growing - fact. This year, we had five of the seven prime time marquee shows that delivered growth year on year. The Bachelor Australia , Australian Survivor and Have You Been Paying Attention? and Gogglebox Australia 2018 second season (H2) achieved their biggest seasons to date while The Sunday Project increased its audience year on year.

“Channel 10 was UP 0.7 points in our key under 50s demo, 0.9 points in 16 to 39s and 0.7 points in 18 to 49s. Coupled with this linear growth, 10 Play grew an incredible 16% year on year in video segment views.

“Our shows get people talking. Think MasterChef Australia , I’m A Celebrity … Get Me Out Of Here! and The Bachelor Australia – all you have to do is jump online while they’re airing to see social conversations about these shows light up!

“It’s clear people are choosing how and when they watch the content they love. We’ll soon be giving our core under 50s audience another viewing option with the launch of 10 All Access, our subscription video on demand service. 10 All Access will have all the best bingeworthy entertainment from CBS and 10 including CBS All Access Originals like Tell Me A Story , Strange Angel and One Dollar .”

Also from 10:

10’s primary channel had the most growth year-on-year in its target demographics:
• UP 0.7 points in under 50s.
• UP 0.9 points in 16 to 39s
• UP 0.7 points in 18 to 49s.

10’s shows grew year on year:
Five of the seven prime time marquee shows across commercial networks with total series growth.

• The Sunday Project: UP 16% year on year.
  • The Bachelor Australia: UP 17% year on year. Biggest season ever.
  • Australian Survivor: UP 11% year on year. Biggest season ever.
  • Gogglebox Australia 2018 second season (H2): UP 5% year on year. Biggest season ever.
  • Have You Been Paying Attention?: UP 5% year on year. Biggest season ever.

10 rules in entertainment:

• Five of the top 10 and eight of the top 15 regular entertainment shows in under 50s.
  • Seven of the top 10 and nine of the top 15 regular entertainment shows in 16 to 39s.
  • Six of the top 10 and eight of the top 15 regular reality shows in 18 to 49s.
  • These shows were: The Bachelor Australia, Have You Been Paying Attention?, Bachelor In Paradise, MasterChef Australia, Australian Survivor, Gogglebox Australia (H2), Russell Coight’s All Aussie Adventures, The Bachelorette Australia and Playing For Keeps.

10 knows how to launch new shows:

• Six of the top 10 regular new series in under 50s – including the top five.
  • Seven of the top 10 regular new series in 16 to 39s – all within the top eight.
  • Seven of the top 10 regular new series in 18 to 49s – all within the top eight.
  • These shows are: Bachelor In Paradise, Russell Coight’s All Aussie Adventures, Playing For Keeps, The Secret Life Of 4 Year Olds, Ambulance Australia, Hughesy, We Have A Problem, Show Me The Movie and How To Stay Married.

10 Boss and 10 Peach are switched on in day time:

• 10 Peach is the #1 commercial multi-channel in day time in 16 to 39s (its target market) and 18 to 49s.
  • 10 Boss is the #1 commercial multi-channel in day time over 40s (its target demographic) and total people.

10 Play kept growing:

• Video segment views: UP 16% year on year to 302,518,000.
  • Video unique visitors: UP 13% year on year to 13,098,000.
  • Time spent per visit: UP four minutes year on year to 25 minutes.
  • Video starts: UP 16% to 90,630,000.

Six months in and 10 Daily is going off:

• Average monthly growth rate of 26%.
  • UP 65% when comparing unique visitors in the last three months (August to October 2018) to its first three months (May 2018 to July 2018).

And on social, 10’s shows got everyone talking:

• Top three programs (The Bachelor Australia, I’m A Celebrity … Get Me Out Of Here! and MasterChef Australia) had 5,514,900 interactions (likes, shares, retweets and reactions) on their official accounts so far this year.

Network 10’s chief content officer Beverley McGarvey said: “We’ve established a brilliant line-up of marquee shows that perform well across all platforms and we are looking to build on this success in 2019.

“It’s incredible that after 10 years, MasterChef Australia continues to perform strongly. And seeing shows like Have You Been Paying Attention?, Australian Survivor and Gogglebox increase their audience year on year illustrates that sticking to a winning formula often pays off.

“Our Bachelor shows – Bachelor In Paradise, The Bachelor Australia and The Bachelorette Australia – dominated our key under 50s demo and all the other key demos. They were also our top three 10 Play shows of the year.

“We launched a number of new shows in 2019 that proved winners with the under 50s. Playing For Keeps was a breakout drama and the #1 regular drama in under 50s and Bachelor In Paradise was #1 regular new series of the year in under 50s. We’re also really encouraged by some of our Q4 launches such as The Secret Life Of 4 Year Olds and Ambulance Australia. They have delivered consistent audiences in their timeslot and complement our established brands.

“We’re bringing back Pilot Week in 2019 after a successful run this year which saw four of the eight pilots picked up. Kinne Tonight snuck into the top 50 shows of the year in under 50s, Bring Back Saturday Night offered a fantastic Saturday night programming alternative and Trial By Kyle and Taboo got people talking.

“Sport and news continued to play important roles across our 2018 schedule. We had an incredibly successful Big Bash season at the top of the year and were the free-to-air home of some of Australia’s biggest annual races – the Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix, the Australian MotoGP and the Bathurst 1000 Supercars. These events will of course be joined in 2019 by the race that stops a nation in 2019 – the Melbourne Cup.

“10 News First continued to deliver news first and dominated its under 50s timeslot. The Project and Studio 10 will continue to set the tone across mornings and evenings and we’re excited to build on their momentum in 2019 – The Project’s 10th year on air and Studio 10’s fifth!

“Outside of 10, 10 Peach and 10 Boss, we’re investing in 10 All Access content – watch this space. On 10 Play, we’ll continue to create exclusive show content on the platform and will re-imagine the platform, enhancing the user experience.

“In May this year, we launched 10 Daily, our news and entertainment website. It has had an amazing start and has seen consistent month on month growth. I have no doubt that the site will continue to get bigger and better in 2019.

“While it is the end of the 2018 ratings period, our programming will run hot right up until Christmas. Our ‘50 weeks of premium entertainment programming’ strategy will then mean we’ll be ready to do it all again from 13 January when we enter the jungle for I’m A Celebrity … Get Me Out Of Here.”

In 2019, there is a lot to look forward to:

10 is providing a strong, consistent alternative to sport over summer.

• I’m A Celebrity … Get Me Out Of Here! starts 13 January as a proven premium entertainment option.
  • Hughesy, We Have A Problem will also run as an entertainment alternative to sport.

10 All Access is almost here.

• CBS and 10’s new streaming video on demand service.
  • Bingeworthy entertainment from CBS and 10.

10 Play is getting a makeover.

• A better user experience for everyone.

A 2019 programming line-up jam-packed with the best entertainment all year round.

• 13 new Australian shows.
  • Countless new shows from overseas.
  • Pilot Week 2019.
  • The biggest sporting events in Australia:
    o The Australian MotoGP
    o The Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix
    o The Supercars Championship
    o The Melbourne Cup
    o The A-League Grand Final
  • A new approach to the Melbourne Cup Carnival.

Mr Anderson said: “We’ve now completed our first full year under CBS ownership and we couldn’t be happier. At our Upfronts on 31 October this year, we unveiled a new fresh look, shared our strategy, announced that our incoming sales team is ready to go and cemented our position as the under 50s network. This is all just the beginning of a new era at 10. We’re younger and we will continue to be bold and brave with our programming across all platforms.”

Two of 10’s biggest weaknesses are Saturday night (where the primary channel pulled single digit shares almost every week) and the 5pm news. How is 10 going to improve on these two points?

Wait for the time to be right and bid for a Winter sport like AFL/NRL as well as beefing up the number of bulletins they have?

they don’t even mention Socceroos games let alone the Bledisloe Cup. Surely they are bigger than the A-League Grand Final.

1 Like

It might seem that way but in reality they’re still a minor dot on the sports radar.

Also LOL at ‘Biggest sporting events’. 10 really knows how to crank up their promotional spins.

1 Like

I think ten have done some great things this year in their 7:30 slot with about 6 weeks unaccounted for. There is quite a few positives despite the lower share this year (but with Winter Olympics and comm games in Australia it was bound to happen)

1 Like

10 Should be happy of the use of 10 Play (The catchup and streaming platforms). In 2019, I am expecting an increase of video segment views by 20%.
I expect Masterchef will be Number 1 prime time program over Ninja warrior and house rules during mid 2019. (The Voice Ratings will stay the same as of 2018)
Melbourne Cup will go up even further with streaming on 10 play and on social media (Facebook, Twitter)

The average person on the street outside of NSW and QLD wouldn’t know what sport the Bledisloe Cup is, let alone watch it…

Nah, I don’t buy that. Lots of traditional rugby fans in Melbourne at least, Union was a long time ago popular (more or less), globally followed. Not to be confused with NRL/Rugby League, a whole different matter.

its Australia’s great rivalry between Wallabies and the All Blacks. Then again people would say you are watching the replay :wink:

1 Like

But duplicate coverage on racing.com could be a challenge, especially if Seven exploits it

2 Likes