Network Ten post-CBS

…and then it got axed. That was last century, right?

2 Likes

I think news-only breakfast show would work, with some respectable talent presenting. No fluffy stories, no cash calls etc. Keep it short also, perhaps 6:30 - 8:30am

1 Like

Eleven AM was one of many long-running shows axed in 1999 along with HHIS and Mr. Squiggle.

1 Like

As I thought. Their time had passed.

It didn’t work for Breakfast in 2012. It didn’t work for Wake Up in 2014. Why do you guys persist?

Let’s talk about fixing prime time first.

2 Likes

And that’s called ABC News Breakfast.

Hard news in the morning doesn’t have mainstream appeal. You need a balance.

3 Likes

Eww keep Tracy Grimshaw away from TEN

2 Likes

Mid-morning programs on Australian commercial TV has had advertorial content since (at least) the days of GMA with Bert Newton, so don’t expect change there anytime soon.

Ten’s replacement for the breakfast TV incarnation of GMA in December 1992 was a youth-targeted program called “The Big Breakfast” hosted by none other than Tim “Daily” Bailey. I think that lasted about two, maybe three years before the launch of Cheez TV in July 1995.

Australian TV had to evolve for the 21st century, one could argue that Australia TV still needs to evolve for the 21st century…but the cancellation of 11AM (and also many other long running programs during the Late '90s) was the right thing to do.

Personally I don’t think Ten is in a rush to re-enter the breakfast TV market anytime in the immediate future but with CBS-ownership, one can never say never.

Yes, Australian TV already has Sunrise, Today, News Breakfast, Sky News First Edition and possibly some other programs that I’ve missed. But CBS This Morning in the US competes against a number of cable news networks and a plethora of local news programs along with NBC Today/Good Morning America.

The difference being 13.4 times bigger population.

1 Like

What I find great about this is it appears that CBS is looking at how to reinvent channel 10. To make a big relaunch and refocus. Pouching prime female talent is a bold move.

If CBS makes some noise about being a channel of respect and equality then they’ll attract good female talent with that message that they would otherwise have more trouble getting (and viewers).

5 Likes

Don’t you dare take Nat away from Seven!!

Now your carrying on about people potentially leaving networks. Get a grip. Who the fuck cares. If she’s offered double the money she would leave. There’s no real loyalty in the game these days.

Your infatuation, lust, love affair with seven really is unhealthy.

On another note…

All this talk of breakfast shows is premature. How about cbs fix tens news department first and get late news up and running and give greater resources to news at five. And perhaps spend millions on getting cricket then worry about breakfast.

11 Likes

24 actually but it was axed almost 20 years ago because it was too expensive. It was also a very different program to Studio 10. It was a news bulletin with some current affairs/interviews thrown in. Sort of a newsier version of what Sunrise is now.

It was also a show of an era when daytime audiences were a lot greater. Now the daytime market is a lot smaller and there are so many options. Studio 10 like its Channel 7 and 9 rivals just could not survive unless they were paying their way with infomercials. And that in itself is nothing all that new. Shows like Good Morning Melbourne and Good Morning Sydney all had to live off infomercials.

3 Likes

Ah Good Morning Melbourne - that time I joined the Ansett Kid’s Club just to get their sports bag.

I’m not sure we need another breakfast show. But that seems to be the morning option we have. Can they make something similar but that differentiates?

Cbs’s Morning show is filmed early in New York, delayed 3 hours for California, and 3 more hours for Hawaii.

I wonder if there’s a potential for a 6am Aussie morning show to be used at 9am in Hawaii - and other similar use of News resources.

(Not much point showing our 6:30pm Project at 3:30am New York… hardly a ratings time slot! But could replace their overnight news show).

I actually think a lot of people would care thank you very much, particularly a lot of Sunrise’s loyal viewers if she were to jump ship like this. And don’t mention Lisa because I’m sure Nat has been with Seven and Sunrise much longer than Lisa was with Nine for and I don’t think Nat would do such a low act after all these years, no matter how much money she is offered. I expect this sort of thing from Nine though; it’s a big part of the reason why I hate them so much.

Now don’t go overstating things.
If someone can get a better deal elsewhere, why not?
And sometimes a change is good; would you really call her low just because maybe she wanted more normal hours (with a bit more pay) after all these years?

As if Seven are a lovely wonderful company without any faults… open your eyes: Look at the revelations recently of how appallingly they’ve treated some of their female staff!

13 Likes

Nice of your input, but do you mind not bringing your love for Seven here on the Network Ten forum?

9 Likes

The problem is the CBS affiliate in Hawaii is not owned by CBS, and the station shows CBS This Morning from 8:00-10:00am as they have a local news program Sunrise 4:30-8:00am part of which is also shown on the jointly owned NBC affiliate.

1 Like

It happens will all networks e.g., Michael Usher moving from Nine to Seven.

4 Likes

Zero chance; just for starters…

• Hawaii’s timezone is almost a day behind AEST/AEDT so a show here saying it’s Thursday when it’s Wednesday there wouldn’t be a great start;
  • They’d have no interest in what’s going on in Australia, versus in the USA (their country).

Good drama, comedy, etc. does have some chance of being aired elsewhere, a major news story (e.g. a terrorist attack here) will obviously get some coverage, but beyond that you’ve got to remember Americans are very insular (I know everyone is parochial to some extent, but Americans seemingly a bit more than some others).

1 Like