Network Ten 2017

Foxtel currently own a 15% shareholding in TEN. This is likely to increase once the cross media laws change. A bigger audience for Skynews would equate to higher revenue for advertising. A FOXTEL subsidiary currently make placements for ad packages for TEN.

It’s free to watch on the Foxtel website/apps anyway

As far as I’m aware, the main Sky News Live channel can be watched for free on the Foxtel website/apps as a default/test channel.

Anyway, I strongly doubt that Sky News would ever broadcast on FTA. News Corp’s primary business model in this country is for people to pay to access their content, a FTA Sky News wouldn’t fit in with that.

They brought back overseas week this year on MasterChef, why not bring back a spin-off?

Was top-rating for the first few years?

(i.e.) Celebrity MasterChef, Junior MasterChef, MasterChef All Stars & MasterChef Professionals.

None of the spin-offs were “top rating” otherwise they would have come back for a second season. And they all harmed the original version which is why they stopped doing them.

2 Likes

Junior MasterChef managed a 2nd season.

Although I agree, none of the spin-offs were that top rating and all harmed the original version (which I think has only recovered in the last couple of years).

The upfronts are being held the same day as studio 10s 3rd birthday.

1 Like

What do you mean the spin-offs weren’t top rating?

They ran for four years in a row & only stopped after 2013, the peak of Ch 10’s ‘disaster’ period (and only then did MasterChef fatigue set in) but has now recovered extremely well :slight_smile:

I think they mean they werent top rating. Pretty simple. All the spin offs rated poorly except the first few episodes of Junior Masterchef. Professionals got hammered. Celebrity under peformed and the second season of Junior was a disastor. Junior and Professions really affected the main show. So no doubt Ten would be dumb to go back in that direction

Exactly. There might have had some okay ratings on debut thanks to the curiousity factor but interest drppoed off quickly and they ended badly.

Strongly agree.

News Corp is about to become the 100% owner of Sky News.

They will run it like they run Fox Sports and all the digital newspapers. Behind a paywall.

I can see them bundling Sky News (the same way they do with Fox Sports News) with digital newspaper subscription.

I also see them merging (somehow) Sky News and news.com.au under one umbrella brand - so they’ve the #1 news website and #1 news channel under one brand, and becomes a dominant digital / on air news player.

But it won’t be on FTA.

Fairfax reporting Ten has the rights to “The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Let’s Do the Time Warp Again” - a remake of a film that I really shouldn’t have to name.

Hard to say when they’ll air it - wouldn’t be surprised to see it fill one of the many schedule gaps before the end of ratings

1 Like

It would be good to see new episodes of The Simpsons back on TEN, even though they had poor ratings a few years back when they were also on ELEVEN.

The reviews are mediocre to bad, and that’s before it’s aired on Fox.

Ten’s renewal of Australian Survivor raises the next question. This year the show premiered on the final day of the Rio Olympic Games (August 21). Next year should it start on the week immediately after MasterChef finishes (late July / early August), or in September in case the show goes three nights a week again?

1 Like

I think they might do a few things differently next year. But I also think season 2 will rate a little higher by default. Season 1 of (most) reality franchises are (mostly) generally soft.

Watched Fox’s Rocky Horror last night on iTunes. Naturally its not as family friendly as Grease Live or Sound Of Music, so ratings expectations should be lowered, as they were in the States (half of Grease Live). Maybe one for Eleven - should appeal to the Scream Queens crowd and fans of the original show.

It shouldn’t be three nights a weeks and particularly it shouldn’t have so many episodes where nobody get eliminated. Once or twice a season is more than enough.

I think thet should air it 3 nights a week for an 8 week block. Air it directly with The Bachelor or Bachelorette and then have something else for the back end of the year for another 8 week block.