Network 10 2022

On drama next year,

In local Drama only Neighbours is confirmed for 10 Peach at the moment, but a second season of The Secrets She Keeps was previously confirmed.

Beverley McGarvey, Executive Vice President of ViacomCBS ANZ, tells TV Tonight , “I think it probably will make it for next year. We’re just about to start on it. It will definitely happen. There probably will be another new drama, but we just aren’t ready to announce anything yet. But we will obviously have drama on 10 as well as Paramount+.”

From TV Tonight.

Overall, it’s a pretty good effort from 10. Obviously there’s always more you could want, but it’s not bad at all.

The presentation itself was great, and better then 9’s and 7’s IMO.

5 Likes

Presentation wise, very slick with a nice use of virtual and real set. Credit to the third placed (?) network, they can talk a big game.

Like most, I would’ve liked to have seen mentions for drama, even just highlighting what’s already commissioned, as well as their news division.

They said it was going to be an hour long, and it was only about 45ish minutes from memory so there was lots of time they could’ve just included those two things to round out a fairly decent upfront.

4 Likes

If you missed this afternoon’s live presentation, you can catch up here

1 Like

No surprises, but my god what a pitiful schedule.

Why on Earth would you keep everything the same when you’re a distant third in the commercial channel race and often fourth behind the ABC.

There are real problems, but I guess CBS is content to stick their head in the sand.

Relying on outdated formats that have seen drastic losses is not the way forward. Especially as there is seemingly no new push for new formats or concepts apart from a token effort.

Masterchef sounds like they’ve panicked and conceded defeat because that sounds absolute crap regarding their format change. Very desperate indeed.

Amazing Race sounds way too ambitious given the logistics and the fact that case numbers are still sky high around the world.

PMSL are they really trying to hype up Friends & Seinfeld for Peach. That therein lies the problem of the dysfunctional network.

FFS still relying on Jamie Oliver & Graham Norton. No, just no. The ratings have spoken, no one wants to see that sad shit.

No shock at the lack of Australian drama, I think I read somewhere that the Secret That She Keeps got a second season, so yay 6 episodes of Australian drama.

1 Like

Was there more of that?? Really? Jesus Christ!!!

1 Like

It shouldn’t be considering the borders are open for those Australians wanting to leave and return.

Yes it should considering the potential logistical nightmare of trying to coordinate and film an already taxing, stressful show in the best of times let alone in a pandemic.

It’s different though for people just wanting to leave and return on a Holiday or visit family.

What happens if someone gets sick during filming, or case numbers get too high for a potential leg. Delta isn’t going away anytime soon.

Sadly yes

From all corners of the globe there are new seasons of Ambulance UK , The Dog House , NCIS , Bull , FBI, FBI: Most Wanted, Jamie Oliver and The Graham Norton Show .

The US version is currently filming internationally so I’m sure they’ll manage it somehow.

1 Like

Peach is one of the highest rating multi-channels, it must be doing something decently.

Not understanding any of your dramatic negativity to be honest, half of this could be said for all commercial channels in Australia.

Announcing a new format isn’t going to boost them to #1, but anyway.

There are obviously issues and things that could and should be done differently but it’s not worth having a sook over. It was a decent presentation with some good news in it.

2 Likes

Yes and? It just means they’re all as bad.

2 Likes

Exactly.

Not sure about everyone else here, but I’m getting pretty sick and tired of seeing Seven, Nine and Ten bring out all (or most) of the exact same primetime formats they have for the last decade or so. News/current affairs + sport still brings in reasonable numbers, but it’s no wonder that Australians are increasingly turning off FTA for streaming for everything else when almost the only genre of programming our commercial networks seem to know is one of four variants of a “reality” program:

*Cooking
*Renovation
*Singing/dancing/talent
*Dating/relationship/wedding

3 Likes

I agree. And wouldn’t it be nice to see some ORIGINAL formats. Not just “whatever show from overseas” Australia.

During an interview with Tim Burrowes for his new ‘Unmade’ newsletter, Beverley McGarvey outlined that 10’s first half 2022 schedule will consist of I’m a Celeb (from January 3rd), Survivor, some other shows like First Dates & Would I Lie to You? and then MasterChef

2 Likes

If Survivor is only 3 nights a week then presumably First Dates would be on Thursdays (not Wednesdays as it will get crushed by MAFS), what are they going to air on Wednesdays then?

WILTY? is more suitable as a post 8.30 show so it looks like 10 might have a hole on one of their weeknights unless if they make some adjustments and do Survivor Mon-Wed or (shudder) Sun-Wed.

I haven’t had any enthusiasm for any network upfronts for years now, because of this, basically. It’s just the same mixed bag of reality formats that may or may not have already been done to death on another network, and they might throw in one new franchise, and some shows promised for this year that never appeared and now have clicked over to the next.

Ten, to some credit, at least has some decent comedy brands with HYBPA, Gogglebox and The Cheap Seats to offer some actual entertainment/comedy. (Channel Seven, in comparison, is set to give us another Hey Hey special)

Would I Lie To You actually could be good. It’s about the only “new” announced show from any of the three networks that I am remotely interested in.

7 Likes

It’s quite sad to see no mention of any new scripted drama or comedy. You have to wonder what the future will be like. All the streaming services have a catalogue of Australian programs that were produced by Australian free to air networks in the past. The reality and factual shows don’t have the same longevity.

The free to air networks aren’t producing any of this scripted content now, so they’ll have nothing to sell to the streaming services in the future. Everywhere else in the world, they are producing more scripted content than ever before, to fill all these services, with an eye to the future. Australia will be left behind.

4 Likes

These are all issues you would need to deal with when filming a show anyway. They would have needed to have those issues planned for during the last season as well. This is their job I am sure they will overcome the barriers.

Yet again they actually do not have any content for post 8:30.

They won’t be running anything post I’m a Celeb.

Then they’re saying would I lie to you and first dates will run with survivor.

This network is crazy and is run by the same person who has excited failed strategy after failed strategy.

1 Like

I’m a celebrity will probably go for 90+ minutes a night.