NBN News

This is probably partly why Prime7 News is making inroads outside Newcastle. “New Lambton” and “Charlestown” mean nothing to someone 700 kilometres away.

3 Likes

Prime7 are #1 outside of Newcastle for news, but not by as much as I thought they would be.

See Richo’s post #941 12 days ago further above.

3 Likes

I get that NBN News has always been a rather Newcastle-centric operation, but personally I wonder if they’ve been increasingly focusing on their home region ahead of the others in recent years?

Haven’t the Tamworth/North West and Taree/Port Macquarie/Mid North Coast markets always been Prime/Prime7 strangleholds?

As for the seemingly recent trend of the Northern Rivers switching away from NBN News, I personally wonder if last years major changes (including the introduction of two newsreaders, meteorologist for weather and the slight retitling of the bulletin as “Prime7 Local News”) have helped Prime7’s ratings in that region?

4 Likes

I understand Coffs Harbour/Mid North Coast and Lismore/Far North Coast have switched over to Prime7 News over NBN News (who in turn switched over from NRTV News). Tamworth and Taree were always strong Prime7 News markets and NBN News was always dominant in Newcastle.

Even though the same Prime7 News Coastal Edition bulletin airs in Lismore/Coffs Harbour/Port Macquarie/Taree it historically either came 1st or 2nd in it’s timeslot depending on the sub-market, but now I understand it’s 1st in all of them.

3 Likes

Looks like NBN has had a technical issue

Live from Mosbri Crescent

2 Likes

Thanks.

Though I don’t get why local weather was shown, but not news or sport.

1 Like

Odd but I assumed “the problem” was fixed up so they could record local weather, but not enough time for local sports/news.

Also must of been ok to receive stories as they had vision/packages from Port Macquarie and Central Coast to use.

3 Likes

Last night at the end of the NBN News bulletin, they gave a score update in the Newcastle Knights vs Penrith game, which was playing at the time (which they usually do).

Tonight, the Gold Coast Titans were playing at the same time as the news as well, but there was no score update at the end of the bulletin.

C’mon NBN News, lift your game… you can do better than that… It isn’t much to ask. There needs to be consistency across the viewing area.

2 Likes

Somebody at Mosbri Crescent needs to think of non-Newcastle viewers. Otherwise, rival news services might steal the momentum (which has been since the start of the year).

2 Likes

There were a couple of peculiar attempts by NBN News tonight at trying to make out of area news relevant to Central Coast viewers.

The intro for one item was something like this: “A warning for Central Coast landowners thinking of illegal land clearing comes as a logging company near Port Macquarie was fined for illegal logging”… There was voice over footage, no report.

The places are 300 km apart, this is really clutching at straws for local content. They did a similar thing with Central Coast students apparently attending a careers expo in Newcastle. No doubt NBN will be including these in their local content quota.

There were also two local news reports, done by Jacinta Lee and Sarah El-Mosehli.

2 Likes

I don’t know if this is usual but I’ll keep an eye out now for weekends, but last night Nine News NNSW thumped Seven News across all markets - by nearly 50k in Newcastle, almost 30k in Northern Rivers and even by 5k in Northern Tablelands/Mid North Coast.

The football numbers were low, so a massive switch-on for Nine.

2 Likes

Yes NBN News does do well on Sundays. It isn’t new at all. One of their top weekly programs.

2 Likes

Yes, I think their strategy from when aggregation started was to use the weekend news to attract viewers in the north that would normally watch Prime or NRTV News weeknights, and keep them watching NBN News from Mondays onwards.

The first part of the strategy has worked, but not the second (mostly).

3 Likes

Nine won the Northern Rivers news last night by just under 10k but strangely though, the Today Show made the top 10 in that market yesterday.

2 Likes

The NBN Central Coast weather finished early tonight crashing into the last 15 seconds of the Newcastle weather.

There was no local news window tonight for the Coast, but this looked to be intentional as there was Central Coast report included in it. There was local sport also.

NBN did their own voice over report on the Knights match, they normally take the Nine report.

As for the seemingly recent trend of the Northern Rivers switching away from NBN News, I personally wonder if last years major changes (including the introduction of two newsreaders, meteorologist for weather and the slight retitling of the bulletin as “Prime7 Local News”) have helped Prime7’s ratings in that region?

Jumping back to these comments… I think there’s some merit in it. After Fiona Ferguson left I can’t remember the last time we would watch Prime News - but with the changes, we sometimes switch to it - which is big when you’ve been with NBN News for the past decade!

2 Likes

9 News Northern Rivers won every day last week.

NBN News throws to a live feed from TCN of the blues team announcement with no coverup.

7 Likes

Jane Goldsmith is hosting this event at Honeysuckle Hotel this Thursday night.

1 Like

A big win for Nine News Northern NSW last night including in the Tamworth market.

Nine News 6.30 was the highest rating program in that market, followed by Prime7 at 6pm. Prime7 at 6.30 was 6th.