NBN News

I’ve only been going by Prime Media press releases that I’ve seen, where they’ve touted their successes against NBN News in the northern markets eg. Mid North Coast, Northern Rivers and North West Slopes.

1 Like

I know I can’t post exact figures but Prime can carry on all they want - they win Northern Rivers by around 1,000 each night.

Tamworth by 10-15k

Nine absolutely slaughters them in Newcastle (70k plus) and overall

Last night Nine was 55k viewers ahead in the 6-7 timeslot in Northern NSW

ACA was #1 overall and The Voice beat MKR

4 Likes

NBN News again will be broadcasting the Newcastle Anzac Day Dawn Service on air from 5am tomorrow morning.

You can also watch it live online

2 Likes

Re Newcastle ratings… That is interesting…
I thought that the gap between Prime7 and NBN in the news hour had somewhat closed.
As in the 90s, NBN was ahead by about 100k viewers.
But in the early 10s, the gap had closed to 30,000.
Sounds like from what you’re saying, it has widened again.

As for the Northern Rivers, NBN used to have a big lead up there, but are now slightly behind. I’m not sure what has changed up there to cause that.

Was in NBN land for the last couple of days, Don’t know why they even bother with this feral coverup, Especially when the main video wall advertises 9News.com.au at the end of the bulletin.

Apart from that an updated Weekend Endcard.

5 Likes

I couldn’t agree more.

It makes some of WIN’s cover up efforts look tame.

2 Likes

There’s also the fact that the newsreaders promote Sydney’s 6pm bulletin during the closer of the 4pm news, when NBN and SCA Nine Southern NSW/ACT viewers won’t be seeing Peter Overton (or Deborah Knight if it’s a Friday) at 6pm!

Nine does realise that as much as 2.5 million people who have access to Sydney’s 4pm News are seeing either Vanessa O’Hanlon or Paul Lobb & Natasha Beyersdorf at 6pm, don’t they?

2 Likes

I’m sure TCN is well aware, but frankly, I don’t think they give a damn.

6 Likes

Not to say how stupid it looks at 5am - advertising a bulletin on in 12-13 Hours, Even at 11am still ridiculous. I can understand at 4pm when they are constantly plugging Sydney 6pm News.

4 Likes

And on their website and on the EPG, they are listed as eg. “NBN News Now”, same goes for the 5am and 4pm bulletins, though for some odd reason, 11:30am is listed as “Nine’s Morning News”.

Go figure.

2 Likes

There wasn’t a Central Coast local news window tonight. They aired the Newcastle window instead, which didn’t have anything about the Central Coast in it.

There was a pre-recorded Central Coast sports window, but the only local item was a voice-over item on the Mariners, the rest of the content was the Newcastle Knights, Newcastle Jets and a Melbourne AFL piece.

On another note, Natasha was presenting solo again tonight, and has been doing so for over a week now I think. I assume Paul Lobb is on holidays, but I wonder why there hasn’t been a co-presenter in this whole time? Given that is the usual format, surely they should be sticking with that as much as possible?

2 Likes

Tash also presented on Saturday night, personally I’m glad NBN does the solo presentation when a fellow presenter is absent instead of bringing in Paddy or someone else.

Jacinta Lee (who I think may be the only regular Central Coast-based reporter for NBN News these days, with Samantha Long having since moved to Newcastle) was probably absent today?

Preparing Northern NSW viewers for the future, maybe?

Paddy Kilmurray left NBN last year (I think), so if they wanted a male co-presenter in the absence of Paul Lobb they’d probably now have to go with Sam Djodan or having Mitchell Hughes present news segments.

1 Like

Jacinta did a report for Newcastle tonight.

Their other Central Coast reporter is Jess Norton, who may not have been available today?

Still with only 2 reporters on their books for that market, it leaves NBN with little room to move if there are absences.

1 Like

Yes, I would have gone for Sam over Mitchell.
Mitchell is a bit “wooden” for my liking.

1 Like

It also shows that the Central Coast bureau (and some submarkets’ bureaus) really needs more staff to deliver more local news reporting.

1 Like

Caps of the Newcastle Dawn Service:

6 Likes

Was that shown in HD?

Yes.

1 Like

With Paul Lobb on the Dawn service as per those caps above, it’s then even more perplexing as to why he hasn’t been cohosting the 6 pm news lately.

Has he been dumped, and maybe they’ve now gone solo with Natasha?