NBN News

there were issues all afternoon into the news… random ad breaks in the middle of the cricket overs, a drop out at around 6.07 for about a minute, with a black screen before coming back mid-report, an ad break which finished about 1 minute early, going to black.

2 Likes

Another promo:

2 Likes
2 Likes

No Central Coast Local news window again tonight.

The Newcastle window was aired instead and didn’t contain any Central Coast items.

1 Like

There was a prerecorded Central Coast local news window tonight, but there was just one VO item that was local, and there was no footage in that either.

Everything else was Newcastle, Upper Hunter and one Coffs Harbour item that looked like it was cut short before the ad break throw.

This is the 2nd night this week already with effectively no local news in the first block.

NBN needs to lift its game on the Coast, or they may as well just not bother at all.

1 Like

I agree. For various reasons, the Sydney & Newcastle news outlets miss out on some local stories that would be of interest to Central Coasters and in a market with around 300k people, there should be enough room for at least one proper news service covering the Central Coast.

Although knowing the current state of regional TV news, unfortunately I can’t see the necessary improvements (like hiring more reporters/crew) happening to NBN News Central Coast anytime soon.

2 Likes

Central Coast Sport was a better effort, with a full report on a Central Coast boxer preparing for his last fight, and an RVO with footage relating to the upcoming Central Coast Sports Awards.

Mid bulletin there was also a local Central Coast report on an award for a group of retired female Central Coast lifesavers (covered by Samantha Long) that was also covered by Mike Dalton for Nine News…

Again WHY… NBN are not in the position where they should be duplicating Nine News reports when they’d didn’t cover any other local news in the first block.

Bizarrely, NBN also covered traffic delays in Los Angeles … I mean… WHAT THE…

1 Like

TCN also covered that as well. You certainly don’t get that sort of traffic in Newcastle, Central Coast or even Sydney.

That surprises me… fair enough then… I wondered that.

Local window was still 6 minutes tonight, despite the late finish to the cricket, which was to be expected, but they have just thrown to the sports news, so looks like being 30 min on NBN as well.

2 reports for the Central Coast tonight, a better effort than other nights this week so far.

2 Likes

Only 1 local Central Coast report tonight - everything else was from Newcastle - including 2 on the Newcastle 500 Supercars.

1 Like

I meant to add, the lead story was on a hostage being taken in a shopping centre at Morriset, south west of Newcastle, and it was taken from Nine News, for once they didn’t send a local NBN journo to cover it as well as Nine’s.

2 Likes

Did that happen in NNSW?
That was one of the major stories covered on 9 News Regional QLD tonight too. There weren’t any obvious things in the story I saw to give an impression of where it was from, so I just assumed it was a story from Brisbane.

Yes, it did. Morriset is about 50 kms south west of Newcastle.

My NBN News material from the other week:

On one night there was a problem with a report not playing, they went back to it after an ad break:

Updates:

Promos (some previously posted):

7 Likes

Once again, Abesty has delivered the goods! :slight_smile:

While I’m here, a promo for the Central Coast version of the bulletin. Apologies for the couple of minor audio dropouts - the reception of NBN Nine where I was staying up wasn’t that great - but I think we all get the general idea:

…and montage of NBN News Central Coast which by pure coincidence, is also from the 13th of this month so you can compare the minor presentation differences between this bulletin and the North West version:

7 Likes

NBN, if you are reading this I am a big fan of your news program and watch it nightly.

But why the hell are you uploading videos to Facebook with a resolution that looks like it’s 256×144px.

People now have computer monitors which are 3840x2160px with download speeds of 25mbps and you are still uploading videos at 256×144???

Go over to WIN News and have a look at the quality of their Facebook posts.

If this “Sydney City TV” person on this forum can upload decent looking video (which has already been compressed for transmission) then you can upload decent quality video.

It is an embarrassment and the video is all blurry.

You have Australia’s second largest ISP co-located inside your TV studios so bandwidth can’t be an excuse!

I have a look at the videos posted by “Sydney City TV” above. Your video posts should have a higher quality than his.

1 Like

The sooner that NBN News is properly integrated into Nine News’ online/digital/social media platforms, the better IMO.

I appreciate the feedback about the video quality of the stuff that I upload primarily for the benefit of Media Spy and other TV/media enthusiasts out there. I don’t visit regional TV viewing areas that often (maybe a couple of times a year at the most), but I do like watching/capturing NBN News whenever I can! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Spoken like a true city slicker.

NBN’s broadcast area is huge and mostly rural. A lot of their viewers don’t have access to high-speed internet, though I guess you could ask whether those people would be watching video online in the first place…

1 Like

That is handled by Facebook though - you upload the highest quality source and then the user gets streamed an appropriate quality video for their connection.

There’s no benefit at all to poor quality video uploads.

5 Likes