NBN News

Yes, not a very efficient use of resources there.

If TCN deemed the item worthy enough to send their own reporter up, NBN should have had their reporter cover something else and just air the Nine News report on the bee story.

1 Like

Can’t see why Nine can’t use NBN reporters for the story - they’re more experienced than the young people in Wagga, Bathurst et al who cover stories for Nine.

4 Likes

On the NBN issue " In three years time, I think NBN will most likely be a very different station (especially news wise) to the one we have now…"

I just wonder whether Nine will maintain a 1 hour news service in years to come or whether they will try and A Current Affair back to 6:30pm to broadcast a game show at 7pm. Alternatively, whether they will start a new national program at 6:30pm hosted by Karl Stevanovic and perhaps a late night encore (like Ten do with The Project) at around 10:30pm. I suggest Karl for the hosting role because at times he has filled in when Tracy Grimshaw has been off. Leila McKinnon could fill in on ACA as she does now and she could also fill in for a new current affairs show as I suggested.

Also I wonder whether the NBN and SCA will go down the same path as WIN and have a half hour news service produced from Sydney airing at 6:30pm (if the national news is shortened) and ACA at 7pm.

Maybe my suggestion is far fetched

1 Like

I’d like 9News to go back to 30 mn, I think an hour is stretching it a bit, but it needs to remain a combo bulletin everywhere including on 9NBN, like the regional bulletins produced by Nine for SC9.

I doubt Nine would dump the NBN News model having only just set it up across the SC9 areas.

If the “new national program” is the same sort of crap as ACA/TT have aired then why bother with the rename?
Are you suggesting a serious current affairs programme to replace the shopping deals, faux outrage & regular repeats on ACA?
What would be the differentiation for Nine to keep their audience or even grow it?

Also 9News is rating very well especially in Sydney & Melbourne so I’ll be surprised to see the format change while it continues to.

WIN won’t change until Bruce Gordon dies. They’ll squeeze their local news in somewhere if/when the Ten schedule changes.
Perhaps CBS puts more requirements on WIN in their next affiliation agreement, but then Bruce may sue (& probably/hopefully lose).
So let’s ignore WIN from this speculation.

Would 7News also change back to 30 mn? What would drive that change? (Copying Nine wouldn’t be enough reason.) Would they also resurrect TT (or with a different name)?

Prime7/GWN7 & 7 regional Qld would have adjust to fit, maybe going for combo bulletins using the NBN News model, but probably continuing to do nothing in places like Canberra where Prime7 just air 7News Sydney.

While the separate local news model be common in a number of other countries (with larger populations/densities), I think here it just seems a regional relic from the past; it’s also costly because it requires filling an entire 30 mn bulletin with local news, even when not much has happened.

We’re likely to see further consolidation, with the natural inclination being to have a standard formula, and the NBN News model makes a lot of sense, I think even in a 30 mn bulletin.

1 Like

Maybe you are right that Nine would possibly keep the same model. One other thought I had was, perhaps Nine could broadcast a repeat of their weekday talk show, Harry at 5pm on GEM and then for regional markets produce a state-based news program between 5pm and 6pm on Gem, using the most important regional issues, rather than just filler stories. SCA Nine and NBN Nine could then have noodle updates on the main channel for each area.

Alternatively, the regionals could do what Prime does, have a national bulletin and maybe instead of producing 4 or 5 bulletins for each market, produce just 2 bulletins, a Northern NSW edition and Southern NSW edition of regional news.

Oh please don’t go suggesting noodle updates!

WIN’s All Australian News is a joke; it may be interesting to see what’s going on around regional areas once in a while but as something to watch everyday…that’s ridiculous.

Look at the complaints about out-of-area content in the Nine News Regional thread, for example Sydney local stories in “9News Canberra”.

People everywhere are generally parochial to some extent; a large ‘local’ news programme having out-of-area content (even just from adjacent regions) will similarly be not interesting and generate viewer dissatisfaction & scorn (don’t these idiots know where my town is?).

That’s why I think a well-executed combo bulletin with local windows is still the best option, other than a bunch of completely separate bulletins but those are so much more expensive with more studios, presenters, directors, etc.

Nine are doing what they agreed to in the SCA affiliation agreement; their regional bulletins’ presentation is so much worse compared to the metro bulletins, but still worse than their bulletins in the day or NBN News.

If the radio people running SCA cared at all they probably should’ve complained to Nine about how piss poor the bulletins are (Sthn NSW being the worst), but we don’t know what the specifics promised were, naturally assumed something close-ish to the metro quality and then were of course disappointed.

1 Like

Maybe regionals could have a 45 minute bulletin produced for them (say 6pm til 6:45pm) and follow it with a 15 minute local news insert (perhaps call it Nine News Extra). Perhaps replay the local insert late at night instead of those “fillers” they use on Gem or Go. What’s your thoughts on that?

For the moment, with the NBN News brand staying put, I wonder how viable it would be to have NBN reporters shoot one story, but if TCN want it as well, have the NBN reporter film a second sign-off for “Nine News” perhaps with a Nine microphone box.

Why would they change anything when they’re winning by a huge margin? If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

Wish they could change the name to Nine News though. NBN News sounds cringe.

3 Likes

All networks are looking to cut costs. I am surprised it has lasted 10 years after being bought by the then James Packer owned PBL and now being owned by Nine Entertainment Company. All networks are looking to deliver programming for less, otherwise we wouldn’t have seen Prime Media change their news broadcasts to be produced from Canberra or WIN Television move its news productions to Wollongong and Maroochydore. Prime Media is a dominant force in the North West and Central West of NSW, and they changed their productions.

So the argument if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, doesn’t always apply

2 Likes

They may change where things occur behind the scenes, but will they change the format? Probably not.

Prime7 and WIN are examples of this. Sure many bulletins are now pre-recorded and filmed in one location, but what the viewers see has changed very little, apart from sets and graphics.

1 Like

Similar to when Ten News Adelaide and Perth were centralised to Melbourne and Sydney respectively. They still felt like proper bulletins because Ten invested the time to make sure that the end product was affected as little as possible. A good example for the new direction of the Darwin bulletin, or all of Nine’s local bulletins for that matter.

4 Likes

Updated Promo ender on the new set:

6 Likes

Promos:

3 Likes

Weekend Update ender:

3 Likes

Does anyone know who is the weekend sports presenter? If it’s Mitch Hughes then I’m surprised that he works seven days a week.

I think NBN might rotate between Mitchell Hughes, Sam Djodan and Kate Haberfield (all three of which are in the endtag) as their weekend Sports Presenters.

3 Likes

It would be interesting to see how many days a week some NBN journos work in the smaller markets, like Tamworth/New England, where I think they only have 2 journos, but still do 7 days a week between them…

I should pay more attention to the Central Coast bulletin to see what goes on there too…

5 Likes

Newcastle promo:

On the topic of sport presenters, I think Mitchell presents Sunday to Thursday, with Sam or Kate presenting Friday/Saturday.

2 Likes

The other night I saw just Natasha Beyersdorf presenting NBN News solo. Is this just a one off or a new format?

1 Like