NBN News

It’s a shame station management didn’t push the network news people for the same new sets seen in ADL, BNE, MEL, PER & SYD. And it’s a shame the network still treats NBN as a second tier station.

Considering NNSW is a larger market than both ADL and PER - you would expect the news budget to be similar - I’m sure it’s a bit smaller - but considering the revenue the 6pm news and each market overall brings in, similar spending on the new style sets could easily be justified.

NBN News gets upwards of 160k a night - which is substantially more than 9 News Perth.

It’s a shame NNSW gets this second hand set. At the very least the desk should have been the new style, and the “Pokies” backdrop could have been the new look design elements - to at least take some design cues from the new look.

2 Likes

Because common sense says if you are moving into a new building, why spend the money building an entire new set only to pull it down when you move.

No doubt this occurred as Nine didn’t want to pay for storage of the old set in the meantime and test the waters with what change would do for ratings.

9 Likes

Not at all. A very cost effective solution.

That theory makes no sense

We all know sets and graphics have zero impact on ratings

And if the plan is to eventually have the new style set if they build it now or later the cost is the same. Dismantling and installing a set can be done in a few days. It’s not that much cost.

I doubt nbn is going to change sets twice in 12 months so my guess is this is the new set for good and it will
Move to the CBD studios when they move

2 Likes

I call it cheap and nasty :slight_smile:

Following on from my previous post, when Perth created their new set, all they did was shift the RHS news exchange wall directly next to a new central wall and screen, and removed the minimal timber on the LHS news exchange wall.

(Adelaide was a bit more extensive with remove and replace)

NBN could easily have replicated this with very minimal cost when reconstructing their new set:

• shift the RHS news exchange wall
  • paint/replace the timber edges of both news exchange walls (red line shows where news exchange walls end) but keep globe overlays, or cut off
  • paint/replace timber at bottom of the current central wall with white/silver
  • paint/replace the frame for the backdrop screen with white/silver

7 Likes

NBN set caps from last night:

16 Likes

The best regional set in the country (*apart from Darwin)

10 Likes

They need to up the brightness on the desk uplighting though. The presenters look awfully dark.

6 Likes

Certainly true. Interestingly though, in the Twitter photos they posted yesterday, the lighting was quite brighter, so it’s odd that it wasn’t reflected that way on camera…

1 Like

Everyone keeps saying that NBN have received the old Sydney set…

But wouldn’t it make more sense if this was actually the old Brisbane set?
I mean, last time I checked the manager/director of NBN is the same lady in charge of Nine Brisbane.

Also, convenient timing that Brisbane just started using a new set and suddenly NBN have one of the old metro sets.

8 Likes

I think it’s a pity that NBN News didn’t get one of those giant plasmas for weather because the chroma key set-up they have now looks shocking! Although to be fair, it’s quite possible that those giant screens are still being used on the new Nine News sets.

Possibly a greater missed opportunity though is not using that vertical plasma to the right of the set for the OTS graphics!

I agree.

When you look at what NBN has been doing over the last 18 months or so, I think it’s pretty clear that Kylie Blutcher is trying to turn NBN into a mini version of QTQ (of sorts). The rebrand of the general channel branding to Nine, the further Nine News-ification of NBN News’ graphics, the “We Love It” campaign (which surely has to be inspired by the "Love This City campaign for QTQ) and now the repurposed Nine News set are all examples of this.

Something I definitely hope will never make it to NBN News are those rather sensationalist and ACA-esque “Special Reports” that Nine News Queensland are now infamous for! Although since both QTQ and NBN still have separate news directors (as far as I’m aware anyway), I think we can remain cautiously optimistic that the content of NBN News isn’t going in the same direction as Nine News Queensland…yet.

6 Likes

Blucher :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yes, it’s the Brisbane set.

Yep, you’re actually right.

The lighting on the set looks awful. I wonder why they’ve opted to not light up the desk and a lot of other lighting features that were built into the set.

I was under the impression NBN had received Sydney’s old plasma (that sat behind Pete) for the weather on the Nine Local News bulletins in NSW and Canberra. Gavin Morris has always presented weather for Nine’s local bulletins in front of a large plasma.

1 Like

NBN News makes a podcast??

5 Likes

Yes. I came across that last year.

1 Like

The desk looked a lot better tonight.

18 Likes

Let’s hope someone from NNSW uploads a montage of the “new” set.

2 Likes