NBN News

Would love to see a blend of the NBN News theme with Cool Hand Luke, similar to what ABC did with the 1985 and 2005 news themes.

This version of CHL is quite old, it’s time for it to be reinvigorated.

4 Likes
1 Like

A few observations about the weekend edition of NBN News.

*I still think Jane Goldsmith is one of NBN News’ best presenters and is of weeknight news quality! Although if she likes it on weekends because it fits in better with family life, then fair enough. :slight_smile:
*Fillers seen on the Mid North Coast tonight include voice-read bits on a arsonist being charged over lighting fires in the North West and an iconic cafe in Nimbin being rebuilt along with a full report about parking in Bangalow (near Byron Bay) from Sam Burbury.
*How come the weather is more localised on weekends than on weeknights? Also, why the lack of a map showing tomorrow’s temperatures in the major centres? Viewers still might like a brief mention of what it’s expected to be like in Sydney or Brisbane tomorrow, even if it’s the weekend!

7 Likes

Just saw a Sydney Nine News update on NBN… complete with Sydney weather forecast, and ender promo for tomorrow night’s Nine News with Peter Overton.

1 Like

I seem to remember this happening before on at least one occasion.

Major technical difficulties recording the evening NBN News updates tonight, perhaps?

1 Like

I wonder if it was something to do with the David Taylor / Sara Connor Bali verdict - and for whatever reason, NBN News were unable to incorporate that into a news update.

2 Likes

Yes it was because NBN said “We’ll give you live updates throughout the night on the Sara Connor verdict” (or similiar). So obviously NBN News can’t do that because people have gone home, so they just scheduled 9 News updates in the playout.

It always happens when there is breaking news. If there is nothing breaking, then we get NBN News updates.

1 Like

They have aired Nine News updates in the past for that reason, but they have usually been “National” updates, not Sydney centric ones.

1 Like

Just some observations from NBN News tonight. Watching on the Gold Coast.

• News window are Gold Coast centric stories from QTQ plus a token story about Byron Bay’s music festivals (which also aired on NBN News Far North Coast).

• Sports window contained no local Gold Coast sports stories (Contained content about the Newcastle Knights - which has very limited interest on the Coast and a speedway in Lismore with mud tracks - also aired on NBN News FNC). Obviously no local NBN crew to shoot sports stories? Not even graphics covering local sports results. Tweed had a team in the Queensland Cup today which aired on QTQ and there’s not even a mention?

• Weather window contained references to the “Gold Coast” but also “Robina, Coolangatta and Surfers Paradise”. I know this is produced in Newcastle, but the “Gold Coast” also includes all those places - anything else is just confusing. Just chuck on the words “Gold Coast Seaway”. This is what you really mean.

4 Likes

2 Likes

There’s a new promo for NBN News airing tonight. Video courtesy of David Threlvo’s YouTube channel:

4 Likes

Nice promo - but it’s missing a clear marketing message. Not sure what it’s trying to say or sell.

It seems to feature heavy on reporters.

So perhaps a copy or VO line at the end

WITH REPORTERS ALL ACROSS NEWCASTLE AND NORTHERN NSW

WE’RE EVERYEHERE YOU NEED US TO BE

NBN NEWS

3 Likes

It’s also best if NBN News has a region-specific tagline at the end for areas where they’re No. 1. (Ex. “NBN News, Newcastle’s No. 1”)

1 Like

It would also be good if the promos could be localised for each region, maybe that might come later on.

Personally I prefer the “Your News Every Day/What does it mean to be a local?” promos from 2015, but this new one isn’t too bad.

3 Likes

It’s nicely made - agree - not sure what they are selling or marketing.

Would also be smart if to help with the transition it ended with

“NBN News. Every night at 6. On Nine”

2 Likes

But where’s the rebrand?
“9News: Newcastle’s Number 1”, etc.

1 Like

It’s possible, but their strategy in cities like Perth and Gold Coast is to have a very visible studio presence in the city. You’d reach a point in Sydney where you’re not actually saving headcount by moving Newcastle staff - as you’d need to silo the teams anyway (a News Director can only handle so many bulletins!).

I can definitely see Nine selling their real estate in Newcastle, but moving their presentation to Sydney? Think there’s too much to lose.

1 Like

Yes I highly doubt production of news would move to Sydney, even when the eventual and inevitable rebrand to 9 News occurs.

Nine wouldn’t gain much, if anything, from doing this and as @CTC7-9-10 said, it could backfire for them.

Producing seven Regional Queensland bulletins from Brisbane will probably be quite a stretch for QTQ, having no less than ten (six for Northern NSW/Gold Coast + four for Southern NSW/ACT) from Sydney will probably be too much for TCN to handle.

I highly doubt that NBN News would ever be produced from Sydney, the amount of backlash from parochial Novocastrians would probably be so loud that it’s heard all the way down in Willoughby.

A rebrand to Nine News? I think that will eventually happen at some point but if I was to guess the biggest reason they’re putting it off, I’d have to say because of the Gold & Central Coast markets which overlap with the QTQ and TCN viewing areas respectively.

Just picture it now. Gold/Central Coast viewers going from 7 to 8 on their remote, thinking they’re going to see Nine News. But it’s not the Nine News they’re expecting to see. The inevitable reaction: “Who is this Paul & Natasha presenting Nine News? Where is Andrew & Melissa/Peter Overton?!”

2 Likes